Chapter 8: Sweet Side

“What was that for?” I asked suspiciously. 

“Well, since you’ll be accompanying me with estates, I thought it would be wise to let you also take pictures of the places. Easier to remember.”

He walked toward me and handed me the camera. This was very expensive I could tell, there was even a wide angle lens on it specifically designed for interior home photos. A photographer’s dream, there was no better camera on the market right now than what I’m holding in my hands. 

“Oh my… this is….” 

“Is it good enough? I can send it back if it isn’t.”  James interrupted, surprisingly sounding concerned. 

“No! This is… perfect. I have never used one this nice before. Thank you Mr. Fitzgerald.” I gave him a sincere smile. I was leaping for joy in the inside. 

Hold up. He’s doing it again. Being really nice after being a total dick. Bipolar much? I liked sweet James much better. But asshole James pissed me off…. And turned me on. 

He returned the smile. “We should get going, I have a dinner party in an hour and we need to hurry back.”

“Oh, am I coming with you…?” I asked. 

“Yes.” He replied as he started walking back inside, motioning me to follow him. 

We make our way back to the car and headed back to town. I didn’t notice how beautiful the city was at night. I wanted to get a picture of where we were, crossing the bridge. The reflections of the lights hitting the water were too beautiful to pass up. 

“James?” 

“Hmm?” He looked up from his phone at me with borderline sleepy eyes. 

“Do you mind if I use the camera to take a picture real quick?” 

“Carmen, take whatever pictures you like. It’s yours ya know.” 

My heart stopped. What?! Mine? 

“Oh James… I… I can’t…why?”

“Because I said so. Now hurry before you lose your shot.” James replied sternly. 

I turned the camera on and got a few shots, looking through them I was so amazed at the quality, this camera was easily 2000 dollars. But to James it was probably pennies. 

I smiled to myself, thinking of all the wonderful art I could create with this thing. For a huge asshole, James surely had his moments. 

We arrived at my apartment 20 minutes later than expected, due to traffic. 

“What time should I be ready for the dinner?” 

James looked up at me, rubbing his hands through his thick brown hair. Oh god. Don’t do that. 

“Be ready at… 7:30?” I nodded and got out the car. As I’m walking towards the entrance I heard the window roll down. “Oh and Carmen?”

I turned around. “Yes James?” 

There was an awkward pause. “….. Wear something sexy.” And with another signature wink, the window rolled up, and he was gone.