Chapter 9: Reconciliations and Revelations

In the middle of the night in the household of the Stacy's, hours after Gwen has just returned from the theater...

'Hello...Gwen...'

'Peter!?'

Suddenly, Gwen's consciousness awakens in what appears to be a dream— or a nightmare to be honest with the ominous presence that is felt, lurking around the place within her own mind. She was greatly disturbed by a voice that almost sounded like Peter, but in a tone unfamiliar to her.

'Hello?' Gwen looks deep within her consciousness before spotting an entity that looks like the black-suited Spider-man crawling above her.

'Hello...Gwen...' the entity snuck up to her from behind and startles her.

'Wait, you're not Peter, but you sound like him...!? Who—who are you!?' Gwen demanded while keeping her distance from the black Spider-man lookalike.

'Relax Gwen, I will not harm you,' says the entity.

'Wh-who are you! And wha-what do you want with me?' Gwen demanded while avoiding the tendrils creeping up close to her.

'Nothing much, just a little gift for you to see,' the entity replied as it lunges over to Gwen and forcefully grabs her wrist, injecting its memories of past hosts namely Eddie Brock and Peter Parker, into her consciousness and mind.

From the heavy overflow of memories involving Eddie and Peter, she fell to her knees with mixed emotions and great realizations concerning the people closest to her, especially the fact that her childhood crush Peter, is actually Manhattan's Spectacular Spider-man.

'Eddie....no—you turned him into that monster! And Peter...you were abusing him— and his powers! It was all your fault!' Gwen yelled out to the entity.

'Well, they were pretty choosy, and beggars can't be choosers,' the entity quipped. 'I've given the both of them my all, my everything, only to be thrown to the wayside. Sounds painfully familiar, doesn't it?'

'Wow, you must've stolen Peter's humor, you creep,' Gwen hissed, crossing her arms in disgust.

With a sly stare into her eyes, the angered entity vanishes and reappears in front of her, startling her on purpose before looking straight into her eyes.

'Oh yeah? Just look at your pitiful self. A frail stick in the mud after the good times being with that traitorous buffoon Peter,' the ooze taunted.

'Peter is not like that!' Gwen protested.

'Oh really? Where is he now when you need him?' the ooze taunted again.

'He's...he's...' she nervously trailed off after all the trouble she put him in from shattering his relationship with Liz and staying with Harry out of guilt.

'Look Gwen, apologies in advance for reading your mind, but didn't you want the power to understand what he's been up to?' the entity questioned in a taunting manner. 'Don't you want to help that poor boy out?'

'He... he is more than capable of handling things himself...that's why he dumped you, didn't he?' Gwen smirked back, hitting a nerve.

'And what about you? Dating a spoiled brat with an inferiority complex who has power that's just so easy to abuse,' the entity hissed back.

From that harsh honest statement, she went silent in shame of the truth about Harry while being reminded of the trouble that Peter went through for her sake. At that point, the ooze scooted closer to the depressed geekette with a great and tantalizing temptation...

'Gwen...as I've already said: I wish to offer you power, not to just help your friend, but also for you...' it trailed off.

'Power...?' Gwen wondered what it meant.