Season 5 Chapter 2: Background Check

"Ohhh boy..."

"Wow, check that out!"

"What's going on over there?"

The next day, in a cafe called Buck's Brews, a few blocks away from ESU, amidst a crowd of onlooking buzzing city girls was a conspicuous table of three. And in that table sat Liz Allan, sitting nervously in between her super-boyfriend in just a jacket and pair of jeans and sneakers, Peter, and her hot, dark, and rich suitor, Roberto, wearing a white polo shirt and some beige joggers with brown topsiders. Beneath the table, Liz's hand taps lightly on Peter's thigh subtly to get his attention, catching the corner of his gaze.

'Petey, I'm sorry,' Liz whispered.

'For what?' Peter worded with his lips only.

"Ahem! Whew! Is it hot in here? Or is it just me bein' hot?" Roberto quipped as he cracked a smirk, rubbing the back of his nape with eyes gleaming like a ray of sunshine.

"Uhhhh, probably just the AC needing some work to adjust to your temperature," Peter quipped with a hint of sarcasm, partially shielding his eyes from his gleaming glare for a moment.

"Right, of course. How observant. I guess that is how Liz was attracted to you in the first place. You tutored her a lot since high school, no?" Roberto chuckled.

"Well, yeah. We have been through a lot back then. The good, the bad, the ugly, the pretty. And I'll never forget every single bit of it."

Peter holds onto her hand resting on his lap under the table before shooting a smiling grin at her, causing her to smile and blush in return.

"So I noticed. To be frank, Liz, I met you when we're young many years ago. You probably don't remember me because we were both like about five when we met."

Roberto then takes out his sleek blackish brown leather wallet and pulls out a laminated photo of a young latino and latina, around the ages of five or four, standing beside a large lantern made of seemingly light translucent material.

"Oh! So you were that kid with the chipped tooth I met years ago!" Liz yelped upon seeing the little boy with a chipped tooth under his huge smile.

"Hah! So you do remember me. That's good enough for me," Roberto smirked, making Liz want to retract her insensitive remark.

"Wow, you looked like you never aged, Liz," Peter adds upon seeing Liz's kid picture, making her blush in response, which ticked Roberto's brow for a good reason.

*Errt!* *Errt!*

"What the? Now?" Roberto groaned, taking out his ringing smartphone. "Sorry, excuse me for a minute."

As soon as he gets up and walks out of the café, he answers the call that keeps him preoccupied, leaving Liz and Peter alone.

"Okay, now with him out of the way, mind telling me what's bothering you now? You look like you're about to hurl."

"How can you not when you're with two boys, one being my boyfriend and the other my family's trying to hook me with."

Liz slumps in her seat out of the sheer thought in embarrassment, now reenacted before her eyes. As a sign of assurance, Peter takes her hand, catching her off guard again and making her look into his eyes.

"You kidding? This has been quite the experience I never thought I'd get myself into. I get to finally act like a boyfriend, after, you know what I did. Plus, I learnt something new from this, so it's a bonus in my book," Peter grinned. "There's nothing to be embarrassed about, Liz."

"Oh Petey!" Liz yelped that she couldn't help but peck Peter's cheek.

"Sorry, something came up with my company," Roberto apologized, finishing the call. "Darn pendejos, what will they do without me? Today's been a fine day to talk with the two of you, but I gotta get going, ciao!"