Ch. 1- Intro

Quick author's note: Just wanted to say that this is one of my first stories so there is obviously room for improvement!! Hope you enjoy! The chapters are pretty short... Please feel free to comment!

          I keep watching as a different person comes out around the terminal every few seconds. Their flight landed a couple minutes ago so they should be coming out of the gate any second now. Before I know it, I see my two best friends, Aaron and Leo, walking out of the gate together with their suitcases in hand, scanning the area as they look around for me. Once I see them, I sprint over to them.

"Leo! Aaron!" I say as I jump into both their arms and give them a big hug. Aaron and Leo have been my best friends since the first grade. All of our moms became friends since we all went to the same middle and elementary school together. So since then we've been inseparable.

"Ella!" Leo exclaims. Aaron then drops his carry on bag to wrap his other arm around me.

"Did you try to not miss us too much?" Aaron asks in his usual sarcastic tone. Aaron is always making sarcastic comments, but it's honestly refreshing.
———————
"So how was the tournament?" I ask, my eyes focused on the road ahead of me. Aaron and Leo were in California for a hockey tournament. They are on a competitive hockey team together and they're really good. They've been traveling for that sport since I can remember. And yes, they've missed school a couple times due to it.

"Good. We won first in the whole tournament overall." Leo states with a big grin on his face.

"That's amazing. Congrats." I reply cheerfully.

"So how's life been for Miss Ella May over here?" Aaron asks.

"Good. Just the usual. School, figure skating and homework." I reply.

"Nice."

"You know what I realized is that I forgot to tell you guys that Mrs. Anderson quit!" I state. Mrs. Anderson is an English teacher at our high school and everyone hates her. She's a nutcase.

"About fucking time." Leo replies.

"That lady is physco." Aaron responds.

"I know." I agree. I check the time on my car and see that it is 5:15. I have no plans for dinner and I'm sure they haven't eaten yet.

"You guys hungry?" I ask.

"Starving." Aaron replies.

"Same."

"Okay well there's an In N Out a couple miles from here. Does that sound good?" I ask, already knowing the answer to that. Aaron, Leo and I's designated food place is In N out.

"Yes for sure."

"Gosh I've missed when we used to go here all together every friday after school." Leo says as he takes a huge bite of his double double cheeseburger.

"I forgot how good this place is." I respond in between bites.

"Me too." Aaron states.

"You weirdo, who gets a burger without fries?" I say as I look at Aaron's plate.

"You know I hate fries. I can't control it." Aaron says.

"I forgot. I guess all that time apart has made me forget you. What's your name again?" I tease.

"Look I know the whole hockey traveling thing sucks but think about it this way... now it's over because high school hockey will be starting so we won't be doing any far away traveling for a while." Aaron states.

"When does high school hockey start again?" I ask.

"This week." Leo responds.

"Anyways, enough about that, I want to know how California was." I ask. I feel like I didn't get to hear much about it.

"Aaron over here attracted quite a lot of California girls." Leo states. I couldn't help but get a little annoyed at that comment. You see, ever since eighth grade, I've had a tiny bit of a crush on Aaron. I haven't ever made a move or acted on those feelings because I know there's no chance he feels the same. I've learned to push those feelings down deep. I never really thought about him that way when we were little but once puberty hit him, I started noticing him more, with his fluffy brown hair. It doesn't help that he's also 6'1.

"Is that so? They must love your Michigan ways." I reply, trying to sound happy for him. Aaron and Leo are both quite popular with the ladies at school. Aaron more than Leo though. They are both extremely popular which I guess makes me semi popular because I'm friends with them.

"What's that?" Aaron asks suddenly as he points to the area behind me. Filled with curiosity, I turn my head to see that nothing is there. I look back at the table to see Aaron quickly putting my milkshake down in its original position.

"Not fast enough I see. If you wanted a sip of my milkshake you could have just asked." I state.

"What's the fun in that?"

I finally get home around 8. When I enter the front door, I see that my two little brothers are running around the house chasing each other with nerf guns. Welcome to my life. I have two little brothers who are absolutely crazy, but I love them.

"Where's mom and dad?" I ask.

"I don't know." Eli, my little brother responds.

"Honey is that you?" My mom asks as she comes down the stairs.

"Hey mom." I say.

"Hey, how was picking up Leo and Aaron from the airport?" She asks.

"It was good. They got first in the whole tournament overall!" I say excitedly.

"That's great. God those kids are good at hockey. I was talking to Molly and she said that Aaron has already gotten some scouts at his games." My mom responds. Molly is Aaron's mom and as I said before, all of our moms are close so they talk on a regular basis.

"I know. I'm not surprised." I wonder if Aaron or Leo will commit to any colleges yet for hockey. I mean we're in our junior year right now for high school but I know a lot of people get offers in their junior year.

"Well I'm off to bed. Boys let's get you in bed, you have school tomorrow." My mom states. "And you too Ella. Don't stay up too late."