Chapter 7- First Game of the Season

"Morning." Aaron says as he taps on my shoulder. He's wearing his hockey jersey over his hoodie because he has his game today and all the hockey boys do that. Boy does he look hot.

"Morning. You excited for your game today?" I ask as I shut my locker.

"So excited. First game and it's against Ridgewood. I'm confident we're gonna win." He states. Aaron is an annoying competitive sports dude when it comes to hockey and I always make fun of him for it. One time me, him and Leo went to watch the Michigan Wolverines ice hockey game and I almost left because of how obnoxious Aaron was being. Leo not so much but still. Aaron was getting so into it and he kept getting pissed when the ref would make a bad call.

"What class do you have?" I ask.

"Math. Lucky me." He says sarcastically. Aaron actually does really well in school. He had always been one of those people who didn't put that much effort into school but didn't need to because he was already naturally smart.

"At least you're actually good at math." I say. I, on the other hand, not so much. Math was always the subject that I struggled with the most. Too many steps, too many numbers, just too much.

"Hey, well you're good at English and I'm not."

"True." We get interrupted in our conversation because of the bell.

"Well we're going opposite directions so bye loser." Aaron says as he taps me on the head and walks away before I can say anything more.

"Bye." I say with a laugh.

Later on the same night...

"Okay these braids look so good." Katie applauds herself. She's currently french braiding my hair for the hockey game tonight.

"What are you gonna wear?" She then asks.

"Well Aaron has a hockey shirt that he let me borrow a while back and I never gave it back to him so I think i'll just wear that. Plus it has our school logo on it so it's perfect."

"Ugh, lucky. I swear you guys are going to end up getting married one day." The amount of times I have heard that from people, well specifically my family.

"Yeah, no way." I say with a laugh.

"Shit we have to leave soon." Katie announces as she checks the time on her phone.

"It's already crowded." I say as we enter. I recognize a lot of the people from my school. Hockey is a big sport at our school so everyone shows up to the games. It also helps that this is their first game of the season.

"Let's get snacks." Katie suggests. Sometimes I complain about how cold the weather is here but then I remember that not many states have hockey as a sport in their schools. I love going to Leo and Aaron's hockey games.

"What are you thinking of getting?" Katie asks.

"I'm not hungry." I answer. If I'm being completely honest, I wouldn't have minded having some candy but ever since the talk with coach, I haven't been feeling it.

"Suit yourself. I'm getting sour patch kids."

Once Katie gets her candy, we take a seat in the stands. We get a seat behind where Aaron's team is set up. The players are about ready to skate onto the ice. I can spot Aaron in his uniform. Number 5. Aaron looks behind him and starts searching the audience. Once he makes eye contact with me he does a funny face and waves. He then nudges Leo's shoulder and Leo sticks out his tongue at me.

The game is nearly over and we're winning by a lot. Aaron was on fire and he's been scoring most of the points for his team. Andrew has been doing really good too. It's so annoying that Aaron is basically good at everything he does. School, hockey and just sports in general. He did basketball for a while and he was really good at that too. He's just a naturally athletic person.