Chapter 13- Ferris Wheels

Sunday..

I'm currently laid out in my bed when I hear my phone buzz. I see it's a text from Andrew. What does he want now? As much as I wanted to view the message a couple hours later, I check right away.

Andrew:

Hey. You up for the fair today?

I'm not quite sure how to reply. Do I even want to go with him. Obviously I do but I don't want to get stood up again.

I decide on replying with a yes a couple hours later.

I put on the same outfit that I was going to wear yesterday and apply some light makeup. My hair is still curled from the other day. I'm in the middle of applying mascara when I hear my phone buzz.

Andrew:

I'll be at your house around 4

I decide to watch TV while I wait. Andrew texts me that he is here and I head downstairs with my crutches. I've actually mastered how to go down the stairs with crutches now. What can I say?

When I come outside, I see him in his truck on his phone. He must not know I am here.

"Hey." I say as I sit down in the front seat and put my crutches next to me.

"What's up?" He asks as he looks me up and down.

"You look good." He states.

"Thanks."

"How's it going?" I ask, trying to make conversation.

"Good. Again sorry about yesterday." He then pulls the key into the admission and begins driving.

"It's fine, it just would have been nice to get a little notice beforehand." I say.

"You're totally right. My bad."

"So how's the leg doing?"

"Good. It still hurts but definitely a lot less than a couple days ago." I answer.

After a couple minutes of driving, we finally get to the fair. I can see the rides from the parking lots.

"You've been to the county fair before right?" He asks.

"Oh of course. I love it there. I've been going since I was really little."

"I've been going since I moved here in eighth grade." He replies.

"I didn't know you moved here. I guess I just assumed you always lived here." I reply.

"Yeah I don't think many people knew that either."

We begin walking up to the ticket booth to purchase tickets for rides and games.

"Where do you want to go first?" I ask.

"Where do YOU want to go first?" He asks me in mock reply.

"I wish we could go on an intense ride but my leg. Kind of ruins the fun." I say.

"Thank God. I hate roller coasters." He says with a sigh.

"What- how? They're so much fun."

"Too scary for me." I laugh in reply and he nudges my shoulder.

We get to the ring toss tent.

"We are playing this." I say.

"I used to be amazing at this game as a kid but I probably suck now." I state.

"Well, let's see then." Andrew's now waiting for me to attempt. I throw the first hoop around the bottle and I make it as I continue, doing the same for all of them.

"Still got it." I say as I turn around to face Andrew.

"Let me try." Andrew says. Andrew ends up getting all of them as well.

"Thank you." I say to the worker of the booth.

"You can buy a prize." The workers tells Andrew. Andrew looks over to me.

"I'll take the big stuffed elephant on the top right row." He says. Once the worker grabs it down, he hands it to Andrew who then hands it to me.

"A gift? For me? I'm honored." I say as I hug the elephant.

It's getting darker outside now. Andrew and I have probably been at the fair for like two and a half hours now.

"Ferris wheel?" Andrew asks me.

"Oh my gosh yes." I state. I love ferris wheels at night. I love when you're on it late talking to your best friends and having the deepest conversations.

Once we get into the ferris wheel, Andrew sits down next to me.

"This has been so fun." I tell him.

"I couldn't agree more."

"So tell me about yourself." I suddenly say.

"Like what? You already know a lot about me from our conversations in math class." Andrew states.

"What are your plans for after college?" I ask.

"I'm taking over my dad's company. Lucky me." He says.

"You don't sound too happy about that."

"I'm not because I don't want to do that. I kind of want to find my own path. I don't want to follow the same boring road my dad went down."

"Andrew, you should do what you want to do. I mean this is your future. Imagine how much happier you'll be if you find a job you actually enjoy." I state.

"I know. It's just my dad is very controlling. He won't listen."

"You'll be 18 by the time you graduate college meaning you can decide your own path."

"It's not that easy. Plus I don't even know what I would do."

"What about hockey in college? It seems like it could be an option for you."

"I guess you're right. I never really considered that." He states.

"See." We sit in silence for a second before Andrew looks as though he wants to say something.

"Well what about you? What do you want to do in your future?" He asks me.

"I really enjoy writing so the idea of being a writer sounds cool to me." I reply.

"That's cool. I wish there was something that I really want to do in my future but there isn't."

"There will be. Just give it time." I look around and observe the view from the top of the ferris wheel. I can see the cars in the parking lot. I look over to Andrew to see he's looking at me. He then begins to lean in and close the distance between us. His mouth is on mine and our mouths are moving in rhythm. I pull away for a second to catch my breath but he connects our lips again.

After our like two minute makeout session, I pull away for the last time.

"I really like you." Andrew states. I don't know how to respond. I like him too. I just don't know to what extent.

"Sorry if that was too soon. I just thought you should know where we stand."

"No you're good." I reply.

"Thanks so much for tonight." I say as I unbuckle my seat belt to go into my house.

"It was fun." Andrew states.

Wow... No words, just wow. There's just one thing, I don't feel as excited as I would have expected to be. This was only our first date so maybe I am just overthinking.