Chapter 8- Number

"Hey." Andrew says as he sits down next to me. We haven't spoken since the kiss so I am hoping it's not awkward between us.

"Hi." I reply.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go out this weekend?" He asks. Did he just ask me out??

"Sure. I just can't Saturday because I have my skating competition." I reply. I tried to play off my excitement levels however they were very high. And part of that reason is because I haven't ever really been asked out before.

"Skating competition? Where's my invite?"

"My bad I just didn't think you'd be into that type of thing. It's at 2:30 if you're interested." I state. He wants to come to my comp??

"Dammit I have plans." He says disappointed.

"Another time then." I say.

"For sure and I'll text you about this weekend."

Practice for figure skating was becoming more and more intense as the week went on. I really didn't think that coach could get any crazier but with competition drawing nearer, I was wrong.

"Ella work on those turns. Now again, we're not stopping until you have it right." Coach says. This has been the 17th time I've had to redo my spin because my turn wasn't exactly perfect. I look up at her, out of breath.

"Practice is done. You're good to go." She says.

"Why are you so out of breath?" She asks me, anger evident in her tone. She is starting to get on my nerves.

"I don't know, maybe because we have been rehearsing the same move for like 20 minutes non stop." I snap back.

"Well I suggest you get in shape. Do what you have to do. Remember what I talked to you about the other week regarding what you're eating..." I just stare at her in shock. I didn't think she would go as far as this to win.

"I have to go." I say as I quickly walk away.

Once I get in my car, I cry. I cry until I can't cry anymore. For the past weeks, what she said about eating less really stuck to me. It made me look at my body way more than I ever would before. It made me hate myself a little. Was I just not good enough? I had started cutting back on food too...

"I'm home." I say as I enter through the front door.

"Hey honey." My dad greets me.

"Hi. Where's mom?" I ask.

"I'm here." She says as she comes from downstairs. "God I was just helping Eli with his homework. Never doing that again."

"I remember when dad used to help me with math when I was little. Worst experience of my life." I announce.

"Hey." My dad says offended.

"You use to always yell at me and then I would cry." I reply.

"Changing topics, you have a competition this weekend." My mom announces.

"I know. I'm so nervous. Coach has been putting so much pressure on us, meaning practices have been intense." I sigh.

"I just hope she isn't putting too much pressure on you." I stay silent. Little did she know..

"Oh by the way on Sunday we are having dinner with the Kades and Campbells." My mom announces as she puts her phone down. I was wondering when our dinner of the month with them would be.

"Okay. Well I'm going to go do homework." I declare as I carry my bags upstairs with me.

"You seem tired." Leo observes. We are currently at lunch right now and I feel like sleeping right now.

"I know. It's just that my coach has been making practices so intense because of the competition this weekend." I reply as I move my head up off the table.

"That sucks, sorry." Aaron replies as he kicks my foot from under the table to wake me up.

"Ouch." I blurt out, giving him a dirty look.

"We will be at your competition. We'll be in the first row, cheering you on." Leo exclaims.

"Aww I love my fans." I laugh.

"Oh and my mom was telling me last night that we're having dinner at your house." Leo says to me.

"Yeah my mom said that too."

"Yeah. Apparently we're having burgers."

"I guess I'll come now then.." Leo jokes.

"Hey." Says a familiar voice. I look up to see it's Andrew.

"Hey Andrew." I say, getting up.

"Just got to steal Ella for one second." Andrew expressed. I get up from the table and follow him.

"What's up?" I ask. We're now a good distance away from the table Aaron and Leo are sitting at. But now too far because they are eyeing us down.

"About this weekend... why don't we do the weekend after that?" Andrew asks.

"I was just going to say the same thing."

"Okay great. Can I get your number, I don't believe I have it yet." Andrew asks.

"Yeah sure." He then hands me his phone as I type my number in.

"Go Ella." Aaron cheers obviously.

"You get that number girl." Leo yells, causing people to stare.

"I'll see you." I say. I then run back to the lunch table.

"You guys are dead." I taunt.

Thank God english is next period, I need a break. I'm also excited to turn in my essay and be done thinking about it.

"Ella, do you have the essay for the contest ready for me?" Mrs. Bardu asks.

"Yes, here." I say as I place it on her desk.

"Thank you. I'm confident you can win it." She states. I head out of the classroom feeling relieved. That essay contest has been stressing me out for a while now so I'm happy for it to finally be done with.