Mom's, Families, and Updates

Jordi lay in his bed, not quite sure what to think, or how to feel. His mother had gone off to get him something to drink, which he was grateful for, because it gave him time to sort everything out.

He was no where closer to having everything sorted when Alex walked in, still eating the jellybeans she'd won. Jordi smiled. Of course she was good at poker. "Hey."

She looked up at him from her winnings. Her face broke into a smile. "Hey."

"Enjoying those?" Jordi asked, nodding towards the bowl.

"Well, considering the fact that they're my favorite candy, yeah," she said, popping another one in her mouth.  She winked at him, smiling.

He laughed. "Well, I guess I should've known that you were a great poker player. I should've warned my mother," he added.

"Probably," She said with a smile, popping another jelly bean in her mouth. "Well, I don't understand why you let her win," she said, matter-of-factly.

Jordi stared at her, surprised. "What?"

"I saw you fold with a full house," She said, looking at him.

He continued to stare at her. Not so much in surprise anymore, more in confusion. "I don't know whether to be embarrassed or flattered that you noticed."

She smiled. "Don't be embarrassed. Everyone needs their mother every once in a while."

He smiled at her.

"Well, I mean, you've been away from her for so long, and sometimes, you can't helped but wonder if they've changed while you were gone."

He nodded, knowing she'd nailed it. She had a knack for doing that, he was coming to notice.

But then another thought struck him.

"But what about you? Where are your parents? Usually, when people are admitted to a hospital, they have people crowded around them, they're family surrounding them."

She looked out the window of their room, staring at the people moving on the street below them.

"I mean, you just said that everyone needs their mother every once in a while. Where's yours?"

She turned towards him, and said, "She's  dead." she looked down, but then snapped her head back up. "For real," she added, with a smile.

Jordi was happy she was trying to joke, even though it was a sensitive subject for him. He was just happy she was smiling. Seeing her frown, Jordi didn't want to see that again. It hurt him, seeing her so sad. Let's just say, it wasn't a good look for her.

"Are you mad about that?" He asked her.

She thought  about his question for a minute.

"No," She said. "I understand why you did it."

"Okay, good. I didn't want everyone walking around with the wrong idea."

"I'm not everyone. Other people may  still think other things," she said, matter-of-factly.

"I know."

"However, that doesn't mean you need to care."

He smiled at her. "Thanks."

She smiled back, fishing around in the bowl for another jelly bean. "No problem."

—————————————————

Just as Alex was leaving the room, Leo ran into her, going in. She stopped him, before her could go inside. "Hey, what's up?" She asked, concerned, as soon as she saw his face.

He just looked at her, depressed. "It's nothing," he mumbled, trying to pass her. She stayed strong.

"Is it Emma?" She asked.

He didn't need to say anything. His face gave it all away. "It's nothing," He said, more forcibly, but even he didn't believe it.

She eventually let him pass. If he wasn't going to tell her anything, fine. She'd just go to Emma.

"What happened to you and Leo?" was Alex's greeting, as she walked into Emma's room.

"Hello to you too," She said with a smile.

Alex stood, questioning. Emma looked at her, and sighed. "Nothing happened. Everything's good," She said.  Alex narrowed her eyes at her. Even Emma's confidence was wavering. But then again, the only time it wasn't, was when she was arguing with Kara.

Alex whirled around, and walked out, without saying another word. There was only one other person that could tell her what had happened.

"Dash!" She yelled, walking into his room. He stood up from his desk, where he'd been on his laptop.

"Yo, Alex. What can I interest you in?"

"I need an update."

"On?"

"Leo and Emma. What happened?"

"You want the full scoop?"

"Uh, yeah."

"Fine," Dash said, flopping onto his bed, surrounded by graffiti posters.