Time Bomb

"Wait, Emma," Emma turned before walking out the door of her room, dressed up for her first homecoming. She turned at the sound of her name, but when she saw Alex walking towards her, she quickened her pace. This was primarily the reason she was even going to this dance. To get away from her, Leo, and the rest of her messed up life at the hospital.

"Emma," Alex called again.

Emma wheeled around, angrily. "What?" She snapped.

Alex stopped, confused. "Whoa, what's wrong?"

"Don't act like you don't know."

"I seriously don't." Alex had reached her now, her expression still confused and uneasy, like watching a time bomb about to go off. Maybe that's what Emma was. A time bomb. One false move would set it off, the seconds would dwindle, and get closer and closer to detonation.

"I saw you with Leo, and I get why you'd want to be with him, but I really didn't think you'd stab me in the back like that."

Alex confused expression cleared, finally understanding. Emma began to walk away again. "No, wait. You think I like Leo?" Alex asked.

"I know you do. I saw you guys together. Obviously, you and Leo were having too much fun fooling around with me and my emotions. You obviously knew that I liked him, and was helping him get back at me."

"Emma, you're wrong. I—"

Emma snapped her face back to Alex's, with fire burning in her eyes. "Don't." She said, firmly, her voice low. "I'm sick of people treating me like I can't handle life and all it's curveballs. I won't break down because someone doesn't like me back, or because one of my best friends ends up stabbing me in the back. So don't sugar coat it, don't hide it from me, I can take it. I don't need you to do anything. You've done enough."

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a time bomb going off.   

—————————————

Alex flopped down in a chair at a table, and spotted Leo, staring out the window of the hospital, equally disappointed.

"What happened to you?" Alex asked Leo.

He answered, but didn't look at her. "I couldn't find Emma anywhere. I wanted to talk to her, but..." He didn't finish his sentence.

"Well, I found her, and she blew up. She thinks that we like each other."

"What?!" She had Leo's attention now.

"That was kind of my response."

"Where is she?! I need to talk to her."

"Well,  when I talked to her, she was going off to a dance with Kara."

Leo stood up, and began to hobble away.  

"Where are you going?" Alex called after him.

"I have to talk to her." He called, not looking back.

——————————————————-

"Slow your roll, Skeletor." Kara hissed. Emma stopped, and Kara turned around to face her. "Just because I let you come with me, doesn't mean we've joined the sisterhood of the traveling panties." Emma rolled her eyes. "I mean it. Starting now, we're complete strangers."

"For the record," Emma started, "I want to be here about as much as you want me to be here. Probably less."

Kara scrunched her perfectly waxed eyebrows. "That's not humanly possible." She turned on her heel and began to walk away.