Before the Fall

Dr. McAndrew looked down at his clipboard once more, as if it held any new information he needed to know prior to his next check-in. The results stared up at him accusatorily, as he'd looked at them twice in the past ten minutes. The show was for no one but himself, as the hallway was relatively empty, everyone far too busy to pay him any mind. He was simply stalling. After taking a quick glance around the hallway, he flipped the pages back over on his clipboard, shaking his head. He felt terrible, but he knew it was part of his job to keep his patients updated.

He regained his composure, and headed into Jordi's room, to find him in his bed, rubbing his leg. Immediately, traces of his own selfish procrastination gone, he made his presence known. "Hey, what's goin on, your leg acting up?" He asked, his voice laced with concern. 

Jordi looked up at him sheepishly. "Oh, no, it's not too bad." 

Dr. McAndrew approached the edge of Jordi's bed, looking at him expectantly. 

Jordi removed his hands from his leg and clasped them. "It may be from lying on that machine for so long," he admitted, referring to the scan that had been done earlier. 

"Alright, well if you want, we can get you some painkillers," Dr. McAndrew said, unconvinced at the downplay of it. 

"No," Jordi insisted, leaning back in his bed. "No, I'm okay."

"Okay," Dr. McAndrew gave in, looking away as he adjusted his glasses. 

Jordi looked at him expectantly. "What's up?" 

"I just got off the phone with your social worker, Megan," Dr. McAndrew replied with a sigh. 

Jordi's eyebrows furrowed. "What about?" he asked, his voice low. 

"Like I said, your surgery is risky, the state doesn't want to take any risks, especially with a minor--"

"Emancipated minor," Jordi corrected. 

Dr. McAndrew looked at him firmly. "That's just it, you're not emancipated yet." 

Jordi laughed humorlessly. "I don't understand," he said, tossing his hands up.

"Here's the deal," Dr. McAndrew said quickly, as he saw Jordi sitting up straighter. He needed to just tell him like it is. Jordi wanted to be an adult, he wasn't going to get the runaround. "California Children's Services will not allow me to perform the surgery at this time." He watched the light dim in Jordi's eyes, though he wasn't through delivering the bad news. "They want you to go through another round of chemotherapy."

Jordi had begun to shake his head before the doctor had finished speaking. He turned, moving to sit up, his legs now hanging over the bed. "What if," he said, wracking his brain for an option. "What if I refuse," he said, looking up at Dr. McAndrew earnestly. His tone was angry, but his eyes were pleading. "You know? What if I say I won't do the chemo?" He said, gesturing vaguely with his left hand. 

Dr. McAndrew shook his head emphatically. "Your tumor's going to grow back," he said, using his own hands for emphasis. "You don't have a choice, Jordi," he watched as the boy's gaze shot over to meet his after he said that, fire burning in his eyes. Nevertheless, Dr. McAndrew had to continue. He had to convince Jordi that his hands were tied too, and that throwing in the towel wasn't going to help anything, and definitely not anyone. "Until you're officially emancipated," he added. 

"And what if I can make that happen," he stated simply. "Like immediately." 

Dr. McAndrew stared back at him, exasperated. "What, but, well, how far along are you in the process," he asked. 

"I have everything," Jordi stated forcefully. "It's just the application that needs to be processed." 

Dr. McAndrew reappraised the patient who sat before him. He had so much fight in him. "Well, I can expedite that." 

"Okay," Jordi sighed. "Then give me one or two days to see if I can make this work," he pleaded. 

Dr. McAndrew looked away, analyzing the options in his head, and if they'd be feasible enough. Unfortunately, in cases like these you could be trading days for years. "Okay," he finally said after a moment, turning back to Jordi. "You have 24 hours." The boy didn't look at him. "I'm sorry, that's all I'm comfortable with. Your tumors are too aggressive."

The boy's shoulders had dropped, but he spoke with confidence. "It's okay. No problem." As the silence stretched on, he turned to look up at the doctor. "I'll make it happen," he reiterated. 

"Alright," he agreed, "Good." He turned to leave, but Jordi called back out to him once he'd reached his doorway. 

"Hey, doc," he said. "My leg hurts more than I thought," he continued. "Would it be okay," his voice trailed off, gesturing toward the direction of the nurses' station. 

Dr. McAndrew nodded immediately, understanding. "Yeah, yeah, of course. I'll have Kenji bring you in some. And uh, get a good night sleep," he added. 

"I will," Jordi called out as the doctor left. 

As soon as he'd gone, Jordi threw his body back onto his bed so he was laying down once more. He groaned, at the situation, as he realized what level he was stooping to. The reality was, it cost too much. He thought it'd just cost money, but now he needed a lot of it, fast, and he was forced to resort to the only thing he could think of. Something he knew, even though he'd vowed he would never do it. He didn't realize the price to becoming an adult would cost him his innocence, too. But, then again, how fitting. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It was strange, laying down on the table while everyone was rushing around. Getting ready, making sure everything was in its place. The organization methodical, but then again, it had to be. It ensured a focus while the air was buzzing with energy. Hunter didn't have any organizing to do, so his nervous energy rose, trying to force steady breaths while his heart beat faster. He was glaringly aware of just how fast with the steadily increasing and repetitive beeping of the heart monitor nearby. 

"Okay, Hunter," said the surgeon from above him. "Let's try counting backwards."

The beeping grew faster as Hunter realized they were about to put him under. "Wait, wait," he said. Another surgeon leaned over him as well when they heard him speak. "Whose is it?" He asked, silently pleading with everyone to stop, no one to move until he had an answer. 

"Sorry?" 

"Liver," he said, his voice stronger. "Who did it come from." 

He watched as the two surgeons looked over at each other. 

"I just need a name," he stated. 

He heard the hissing of the gas from the man behind his head, waiting for the okay to put him under. The surgeon on the right leaned out of view for a moment. She returned, meeting his gaze as she replied simply, "Steven Kaminski."

Hunter smiled softly, and then sighed. "Steven Kaminski," he repeated quietly. He owed his life to this man, who was now dead, and he would do what he could to deserve it. "Okay," he finally said. "Thank you." 

This was enough for the man behind him to cover his mouth and nose with the mask, the gas quickly filling the space. 

"Counting back," the surgeon above him said, as he was forced to inhale the gas.

"10"

"9" 

"8" 

Hunter felt his lungs fill with the gas.

"7"

Hunter was sure it was hitting his brain.

"6" 

"5"

Hunter couldn't wait to surprise Kara when he woke up.

"4" 

Hunter wasn't sure if the surgeon ever finished counting, because that number was the last he heard as all the shades of blue above him swirled and blurred together until he closed his eyes and went unconscious.