08 | Cold, Hard, Punishment

•°

•°. *࿐

SOMEHOW, I WAS driven back to Liza's bar, carried out of a car, and dropped off in the wine cellar. 

Then I was left alone. 

Now, I'm a bad person. I don't need anyone here or there to tell me that. Hell, I probably deserve this. 

But a wine cellar? With zero access to actually reaching any of the bottles? Nobody deserves that. I'd at least like to be drunk off my ass before whatever's about to happen happens. 

Then again I probably deserve to feel all the pain and be a product of Alyona's grief anyway. I'm surprised the girl hasn't killed me already. 

When the door opens I am surprised to see Rowan standing there in front of, well, literally anyone else. 

This guy is such an annoying ass that I almost wish Alyona and her knives came in instead.

"Hi." He says rather awkwardly.

"Hello." My tone doesn't waver from annoyed.

"Liza told me to give you some water." He lifts a jug of liquid. 

"Not poison?" I tilt my head.

He chuckles. 

I don't.

"Wait, that's something they'd do? They'd poison you?" He asks once realising my question was serious. 

"You heard them threaten to torture me and you're surprised by poison?" I raise a brow.

"I'm surprised by all of it." He answers honestly.

"And yet you're still here." I raise my chin to see him properly as he walks over to me.

"I'm loyal to Liza," He shrugs, "And you've kinda been an ass to me so frankly I don't care what happens to you."

I ponder that for a moment. 

"Fair enough."

Rowan's the one squinting at me now, probably confused as to why I'm so ready to accept death.

I was ready to die years ago in some death battle my father designed. I thought that once I died it would all be over. I thought I'd let The Volk kill me and be on with it.

Instead he probably realised that's what I wanted. That living was worse than dying. And so he punished me accordingly.

"What happened between you and these people?" Rowan asks in almost a whisper.

"I killed someone they care about." I sigh.

"What?" He takes a step back, "Why?"

"The real why here is why the fuck am I talking to you." I retort.

"You've got no one else bud," Rowan throws a thin lipped smile, "Only your least favourite co worker."

"The fact I'm here with you right now is more depressing than what I'm probably going to go through soon." I deadpan.