21 | Laughing At The Past

•°

•°. *࿐

I CAME FROM a poor family. I went to a public co-ed school, learnt nothing, and sold drugs. My life was utter shit because I was dealt bad cards, and had no luck to make up for it. 

And then I wasn't. 

I wasn't dealt any more bad cards. I was offered a job because of my potential instead of being arrested. I was in training, I worked hard - I was getting closer and closer to earning my badge. 

And then there was a girl. 

Black hair, dark eyes, pale skin, and a gun, hovering above a dead body in an alleyway. 

She saw me, obviously. She was trained. I was also trained, but very differently. I was trained to take people like her in, and she was trained to...kill, I think. 

Still, as the memories come back, I don't entirely understand why she does. 

Viria turned her gun on me next. I froze. I didn't smile a lot nor did I like my life all that much - but in that moment, I realised all of my angst and sadness still didn't make me want to die. 

Maybe she saw that in my eyes. Because she lowered her gun, so casually, so simply I'm having a hard time remembering if this is true or if it's all been fabricated. She stepped up to me, introduced herself, and asked me what I was going to do next. 

"What?" I stepped back. 

"I said," She repeated, "What are you going to do?"

I didn't respond. She looked down to my training vest. 

"You in the academy?" She asked. 

"Yes." I nodded. 

"Most people in the academy would have shot me by now." 

"I don't have a gun." I showed her, somehow not freaking out at the murderer in front of me. Somehow sane and casual. 

"You'll need one to shoot me." She raised a brow. 

"I'm not going to shoot you." 

"No," She sighed as she aimed it at me again, "You're not."

And then she shot. Not me, just behind me. I turned around to see a fellow academy member on the ground, very dead, and turned back to her confused.

His name was Pen. He was going to earn his badge too. Instead it would lay on his gravestone as the one who never got to be.