Chapter Eight

Early in the morning, I was awoken to my tent being shaken roughly. I got ready and packed away anything I hadn't the night before.

After my bag was ready, I placed it on my back and put the dreaded sunglasses on. I then helped the rest with tidying up our area and cleaning up after anyone who had already left.

As more people started to leave, the quieter and cleaner the camp got. The man who had spoken at the fire last night seemed to have left with the earlier groups because, by eleven in the morning, it was only us and one other group still at the camp. All the tents were now gone, and it just looked like a big open area again.

Once the last group had gone, it felt very empty, and we just sat waiting in silence for our time slot so we could leave. I wasn't too anxious since I wasn't entirely sure what we were doing, but the rest of my team seemed restless as they went through their sheets of paper again. Nobody screamed confident to me. They were still very young. In fact, now thinking about it, I think I'm the oldest here other than the holders. The others look like they have only just turned eighteen. I don't know them well, but if this is a fight, they are too young to have their lives cut so short. I'm young, but they have only just finished their schooling.

I looked away from my group and to the holders, and they seemed like their normal selves, just standing a reasonable distance from me.

We didn't have to wait too long when Carmen stood up and made his way to the woods. The rest of us followed in silence. I, of course, took up the rear with my holders.

We had been walking a good few hours before anyone in the group started talking. Which was when Sarah had come to walk beside me and offered me some of her dried fruit. I took some, and Sarah took this as a friendly sign; at least, I hope she did.

"So I know we said we would tell you a bit more." I must have looked very hopeful for more news because she clarified. "I will, but for now, just the back story. We aren't allowed to tell you the exact mission until we are an hour away for some reason. Anyway, I don't know how much of our history you know. But thousands of years ago, we lived on a fairly clean planet; our air wasn't polluted like it is now, and we lived rather peacefully. We didn't need anything. We had everything we needed at our doors. Fresh air, clean water, fresh crops and most importantly, a big population. I don't know if you know, but Elbnar, the place we are right now, is a different planet. Our next door neighbours, you could say. While our planet died, this planet thrived. They gave us many things but only just enough. One day we discovered that this planet held very magical people, so we asked if we could breed with the people to help us thrive better and hopefully restore our planet to its former glory. That's how our people all possess some kind of power, but as you can see, the sun is still rather damaging to us, and now all our hair is damaged beyond repair, which explains why yours is so dark. I think as you've been underground for so long it's barely had any time to be affected. Even though we were each granted power, our planet wasn't improving. We heard a rumour that someone on Elbnar was born with the power to help restore our planet to its former glory. Unfortunately, when Elbnar heard that we had found out about this child, they destroyed them." I gasped but kept back on any kind of retort.

"So we have been at war with them ever since. Not only did they destroy any chance of us being saved, but they also killed an innocent little child." I thought about it a bit more. Yes, the initial shock was horrifying, but now that I think about it, I can imagine our leaders doing the exact same thing. After all, they did lock me up my whole life.

"That's why we are here. We." She was about to tell me more, but Lucas cut her off.

"She is not supposed to know yet. You can tell her closer to the castle." Sarah gave me a half smile and walked back in front of me with the others. I was now left to really take in everything she had said. I still had a lot of information missing, but it was definitely more than I had before.

We are fighting, or at least the others in the camp are; it seems we are on some side mission. At least, that's what I can guess.

I still can't get over the child's murder. Who would hurt an innocent child?

It's still not right, even if it's to stop an enemy from recovering. But why wouldn't they want to help the planet?

Could it be a lie!

Whether it is or not, it doesn't make much of a difference, as I doubt I will ever be told the truth. Either way, I have no loyalties; I just need these cuffs off and my holders to disappear.

It was a couple more hours before we decided to stop and take a break. We set up the tents and made a small fire. I guessed they didn't expect anyone to attack us due to the fact we were so open, especially with a smoky fire.

After we had eaten, I went to bed, still thinking of the stuff I had been told today. It was a lot for me; it made me finally understand that this is real life, not just another book.

I jumped into something more suited for the cold night and fell straight to sleep, even with all the thoughts in my head.

My sleep was seemingly dreamless until I jolted awake to the sound of a bullet. But when I woke up there was no bullet in sight. I went to rub my eyes, and I felt sweat covering my face. I could feel myself shaking, so I unzipped the tent.

I thought the clean air outside would help me the most to calm down. I decided to leave my glasses in my tent as it was too dark outside to wear tinted black glasses. I wanted to see it, after all.

I stuck my sweaty head outside the tent and breathed in the fresh air. The night air was cold and clinging to my wet face. The surrounding woods were silent, aside from the rustling of trees and the breaking of branches.

I couldn't see any animals, but I knew for a fact that there were some around me right now, but I doubted I would see them even if I ventured further. I believe from my readings they are good at staying hidden.

Fully unzipping my tent I removed myself completely. Even though I had been outside for the last few weeks, being out this late in such darkness without my glasses on felt different. I felt free like I could run away and start a new life, find myself a home. But I looked down and saw the chains I currently have. I don't know what they do, but I know that they will stop me from being completely free.

Even if I did run, I wouldn't put it past them to find me and take me back. I also remember the story I was told. I wasn't sure if the story was true, but I knew one thing either Elbnar was dangerous or Earth was. I have no choice but to stay.

After a while, my eyes adjusted to the darkness, and my vision became clearer. I was now able to see further. I knew I wouldn't be able to go far, but the holders were either asleep or somewhere nearby in the woods, so I could risk a little walk.

I went right from my tent and started to walk in the direction we seemed to be heading in. I walked past a few tents filled with the sleeping members of my team, but as I got to the last tent, I could hear whispering. I know it's nosy, but after being given so little information, the idea of being able to hear anything new made me curious. Before knowing the story, I wasn't too bothered, but now I have been given a sneak peek into the mission I need to know more about it.

I ducked behind the tent and faced myself in the right direction so I could run back to my tent relatively quickly if I heard anyone inside moving.

"I don't think I can do it, Lucas." I could hear Hope's almost silent voice speak.

"Hope it's the most vicious thing I've ever seen. They have so much power over it. Once it's there, you will never have to see it again."

"It's not its fault. It's not even fully aware."

"You remember what your sheet says. It may seem innocent, but it's not. Our job is to."

I took a step back in anticipation, but I stood on a twig, and instead of staying to see if they had heard, I just ran straight back to my tent.

Why were they talking in such riddles? What was this, and why didn't Hope want to do this task anymore. Is it dangerous? Is it morally wrong?

Should I just leave?

No, I can't. I have these chains on me and don't know where I am going. But why me? Why am I needed for this mission? Why am I required?