Chapter Seventeen

*Death and blood is spoken off but not in great detail and not heavily described. Please also note the photo above is a drawing and is not showing real blood.

Four years later and I was still being tested on by these two people. The sessions were very similar to each other, except they started swapping the guards for fake dummies in masks that still bled. It took me three years to realise that only the first one had been a real person. The rest had been fakes. I didn't let them know that I knew, just in case they did make them real people.

I was around fourteen or fifteen when I finally fought back successfully against the mind manipulation. I had tried so hard since the guard's death, but there wasn't just one person I was fighting against. It was two.

I had been practising every night, focusing on keeping my eyes open while also pushing out anything. It was hard when I had nothing to push against, but it was the only practice I could do.

When I got to the room, I sat down and stared at the floor until the two mind controllers came in. I had worked out that the one who always came in on the right seemed to start the control of my mind.

Over the years, it had taken them longer and longer to get into my head. Today though, I was determined not to let them in at all. I felt confident; my determination to stop them from controlling me was overpowering.

I stared at the right one focusing with all my might on trying to push them out. I was obviously doing well because the left one started pushing from my undefended side. I knew if I lost focus on the first, I wouldn't be able to regain control again, so I tried my hardest to make them one obstacle and push them equally.

They were both slipping away, and I couldn't feel them in my head anymore, but I could feel them pushing against my defence with all their might.

As they tried to send their demands through, I just brushed them off like a spec of dirt. I just had the thought that they were out of my head, and it happened.

I did this every time I went into that room from that day until the age of sixteen; during this time, I was being made to try every mental challenge they could send my way.

It seemed that I had spent so much of my time using my mind to help protect myself from others that it came so naturally when they made me enter someone's mind or control them. I did try not to do these tasks, but I would be shocked if I didn't obey, and as I got older, the shocks got worse.

Through all these years, nobody would speak to me, so when it came to the experiments on me, I was very much left to believe that everyone seemed to have some kind of mind control as they were the only kind of people I saw. It seems all the people I had seen through my window didn't stick in my mind as much now I knew everything else. My sitting at the window now just consisted of me looking but not actually paying attention.

I had now gotten to the age of eighteen, and I still had never seen myself with yellow eyes, and I was beginning to question why that was until we got to a memory I wish had stayed hidden.

It turned out that the power I already possessed was not, in fact, enough for the pigeon lady. I didn't enjoy these sessions, but what I had been doing for the last 5 years hadn't harmed anyone. The day that changed started like any day.

I had to go to the lab. I arrived in an okay mood, the best you could, given the circumstances. But it was instantly squashed the minute I saw some animals sitting in the corner of the room.

It had been years since I had done anything I couldn't forgive myself for. But the minute I saw them, I knew that was about to change.

In the room sat a chameleon, a snake, a spider, a salamander, and a few flying insects, such as butterflies. I was wishing so much that no harm would come to these creatures.

I already had power. Why did they feel the need to add any more? I didn't need it, but they must do. Why else would they still be testing me. I sat on the chair and tried my hardest to make sure I didn't do anything that would harm these creatures.

The pigeon came in along with three other women and a man. They stood in a line in front of me, and all of them, including the pigeon lady, grabbed a creature or insect and held it to themselves.

Then one by one, they shut their eyes and held their creatures carefully out and in In front of them.

All the creatures looked petrified. I wanted them to stop; I didn't want any harm to come to anything. No matter what they did to me, I wouldn't let any harm come to anything else.

Unfortunately, my silent pleas were not enough; nothing I could do would stop them. I closed my eyes and felt cold air drift against me. The minute I felt it, I knew it was nothing good, but just as quickly as it came, the breeze left.

I felt different like I had a new limb, but I knew that wasn't the case. I didn't need to open my eyes to know I now had one of those poor creatures inside me.

This happened four more times and once they were done I still waited a while before I finally opened my eyes. I don't know if I thought keeping my eyes closed would mean I could pretend it didn't happen, but unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

When I did open them, I felt a tear fall from my eye. I didn't feel right; I didn't feel human.

I was a monster.

I may not have tried to hurt anything, but I did; I just wish I had been strong enough to fight them. Then things might have gone better.

They were all gone. Not a trace of them was left in their arms. The only traces of them now existed in me.

All the humans left the room, and I just stared at my new reflection. Every scar that covered my body not twenty minutes ago was gone. The thin drawn-out face was now full and plump. It now held a healthy pink colour, and my eyes were now a bright yellow, not the brown they once were. My hair also changed. It was now healthy and straight, not a knot in sight. Every part of me now looked fresh and new. I had been regenerated, and I hated the sight of it.

Every memory after that, I was back to being lifeless. I now wholly refused to look at my reflection in the mirror. If I ever saw it, I wanted to throw up.

The new tests now focused on how I regenerated my body parts or how my skin could heal in seconds. I just sat still in silence as my body did everything for me.

Next were the tests on my reaction skills. I believe I was going to move on to some other tests when my last memory was shown.

I was back in the white room, but unlike any time before, there was another seat opposite mine. The pigeon lady pulled it out and took a seat, greeting me as sweetly as she could.

"Daisy, we are going to take you out into the field to help us in defeating our enemies." I looked at her straight in the eyes and didn't dare blink. I knew for a fact that my eyes unsettled anyone who had the pleasure of seeing them.

I couldn't believe she was asking me such a request. I wasn't one of her people who would willingly help her; instead, I was her test subject. She was my enemy. I wouldn't do anything that benefited her or her people.

It was then that I realised I had no reason to be here. I knew my power; I could snap them into pieces in seconds. But even then, I wouldn't do that. I never want to harm anyone if I don't have to. The fact she was asking me to do just that blew my mind. Had my resistance to her awful experiments on me taught her nothing.

I stood up and then cleared my voice. After all, I don't use it very much. "I will not fight any war for you. You made me a monster. The only enemy I have is you. I could go this instant, leaving this place just stone and rubble. I won't do anything for you." I then started to pace while making the two chairs rattle. I let the mirror crack slightly as they rattled, but it was all a show. I wanted to make it look like I was getting ready for a fight. But I knew I wouldn't; I just needed to do something to bid my time. I knew they would make me do whatever they wanted, no matter what I did.

The pigeon gestured to the door, and a man with a syringe came in. He went straight for me; I was down before I could react. The last thing I heard before I blacked out was an angry female voice.

"Please adjust her memory accordingly and make it strong enough that even she can't undo it. Also, put some shackles on her. I need her to remember them always being there. Maybe next time, she will be more helpful."