Chapter Nine

I must not have been asleep for very long when the tent started rustling. Before I got out, I ensured my glasses were on, and my face was unreadable. I needed to make sure they don't know that I heard them last night.

I didn't hear much, but it still worried me that they would find out I was eavesdropping.

One thing it did was help me to decide how much I wanted out of these cuffs. Didn't help that this morning's atmosphere was off. I don't want to be stuck with no way out when this all goes down.

After the tents were packed up and everyone was ready to go, we set off towards some kind of impending doom. At least from the look everyone had on their faces, you'd think that was the case.

As my team was leading the walk and the holders were keeping up the rear, I decided to make sure I was well behind the group so that they couldn't hear me struggle with my cuffs and not close enough to the holders that they could see me.

I spent a good half an hour pulling at the chains around my wrist. I knew it wouldn't work, but what else could I do. I will not lie; I am kind of afraid to take them off. I don't even know why I have them on. After all, I could be the dangerous thing they talked about; I probably have no control over the powers I have. If I am the thing they talked about, then I can be controlled. These cuffs could be tracking me for all I know and maybe even suppressing me in someway.

The more I thought about the vicious thing being me, the less I was sure it was. After all, I had never met any of these people before or even done anything in front of them to think I would be any kind of threat. Lucas specifically said, 'It's the most vicious thing I've ever seen.' I've never even used my powers, so how could it be me. These cuffs are just a way for them to control me, psychologically, and I will get them off.

A couple of hours later, of me pulling, picking, and yanking at my cuffs, I still wasn't out, and I was starting to feel like my big escape was getting further out of reach. But just as I was trying to look around for any kind of help to get my cuffs off, Carmen slowed down to walk alongside me.

"Daisy. As we are only a few hours out, I will now tell you the mission's aim and what your job is. As you may have guessed, we are walking towards the dwelling of a ruler on this planet. We have been told that it is a castle with many hidden entrances. Our mission is to place an object in the very middle turret. We are all assets to this mission, and we will all need to use all the strength we have. Once we are close enough to safely stop without being seen, one of your holders will remove your restraints, but that doesn't mean you need to use your powers. We have been told to tell you that under no circumstances are you to use your powers even if we are all too weak to use our own."

What does that mean?

What can I expect, though? They are very tight lipped.

"Oh yeah, and I have been told the same goes for your glasses; they stay on. One of us will tell you when it's time for your cuffs to come off." And with that, he was off back to the front.

So they are still not telling me what I'm actually doing. Why would you hide this so much if it wasn't something sinister?

But I am losing my cuffs. That is definitely something good and a fantastic start on a way of getting away and never going back into that dank room I called home again.

Even though I knew the cuffs were coming off I still pulled at them for the next two hours. Which is when we had finally arrived at a small clearing that gave us a spectacular view of a huge castle. It was a very simple stone building that stood around 30ft from the ground. I could not see a way of making it up the walls without powers or a very long stable ladder. But I am sure there is an entrance for the residents somewhere.