Chapter Twenty

Gavi's Perspective

I have to admit, life couldn't be more perfect. Life's been good. Like really good.

First of all, Barcelona is number one in La Liga, and we are at the top of our bracket in the Champions League. Secondly, Mae is just amazing. Every second I spend with her just fills me with happiness. After our night time picnic, we've gone on several more dates, having a good time on every single one.

I've invited her over tonight for a movie and some popcorn, and have decided that todays the day. I'm going to ask her to be my girlfriend.

"What if she says no?" I frantically ask Pedri.

I'm 99.99999% sure I'm going to ask her, but I'm absolutely terrified.

"Why would she say no? You've guys have been on a lot of dates and she's clearly into you," he dully points out.

I begged him to stop by my place before she came over, in serious need of reassurance, but so far he has been no help.

"That's not very helpful," i groan.

"What do you mean that's not helpful? Ugh you're so ungrateful," he says, wacking me on the head.

"I wouldn't be surprised if she rejects you."

"Oh my god, stop it. You can leave now."

I push him towards the door, eager to get him out of my sight. All he did was make me more nervous.

"Good luck! Don't mess this up," he teases as I slam the front door.

Gosh what a pain in the ass he is.

Now that he is gone, I'm left to panic on my own. I've made sure that my apartment is nice and tidy, and have bought plenty of snacks and food that we can munch on while we watch a movie.

Suddenly, I hear a soft knock on the door, and I go into complete panic mode. I throw on a pair of sunglasses and rush to open the door.

Shit.

Who the hell knew that a woman could look so fucking good in a pair of pajama pants and a sweatshirt.

"Hey Mae," I manage to say as I lean in to place a kiss on her cheek.

"Long time no see," she laughs as she comes in.

Our last date hadn't been more than 24-hours ago. After that date, i was sure I wanted to ask her to be my girlfriend, and I knew that I wouldn't be able to wait any longer.

"Hey, what can I say? I missed you," I admit, pulling her in for a hug.

"I missed you too," she laughs.

God, her laugh is so beautiful.

"Whatcha got over there?" she asks curiously, nodding over to the snacks that I had placed near the couch.

"Nothing that concerns you," I tease, taking a seat on the couch.

"So what you're saying is that the snacks that are specifically my favorite have nothing to do with me."

"Yup."

"Well too bad for you because I'm taking some anyway," she says, grabbing a bag of rainbow goldfish.

"Um excuse me, those are mine."

"Oh please, you don't even like rainbow goldfish!"

"Normal goldfish will always be superior to rainbow goldfish," I point out.

"Lies," she yells, hitting me on the face with a pillow.

"Hey, be nice or else I'm going to pick the movie," I say, pulling the pillow away from her.

"Not fair," she pouts.

Ugh, how do I resist?

"Fine, you can pick the movie," I mumble, handing the remote over to her.

Her face lights up, and she immediately begins her search. She goes on to Disney and finds the Marvel section.

"Are you up for a Marvel movie?" she asks.

"Sure, that sounds good."

I could honestly care less about what we watch. As long as I'm with her, I'm happy.

She picks one of the many Marvel movies and hits play. She grabs a blanket and throws it over us as she snuggles up real close, resting her head on my chest.

An hour or two had gone by, and the movie was just finishing up. I can feel myself starting to get tired, my eyelids feeling heavier by the moment. I look down at Mae to find her barely awake. She must feel me staring at her, as she looks up at me, meeting my gaze.

"Hey," she smiles.

"Hey," I whisper back.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

"Tired," she responds, wrapping her arms around me, trying to get comfortable.

I glance over at the clock and read 23:00. It's late, and I don't think Mae should be driving home in the state she's in.

"You wanna sleep over here? I can sleep on the couch and you can sleep in my bed."

She hesitates for a moment, then says, "Sure, that sounds good."

I can tell something is bothering her. Maybe she actually doesn't want to sleep over, and I'm forcing her to?

"You don't have to if you don't want to. I just don't think it's the best idea for you to be driving home if you're really tired," I add.

"No, I do want to sleep over, it's just.." her voice trails off, leaving me wondering what she was going to say.

"It's just what?" I ask softly, trying not to sound like I'm demanding an answer.

She doesn't answer right away. I watch as she debates with herself on whether she should answer the question or not.

Finally she says, "What are we?"

Shit.

It's in that moment that I remember what the whole point of this was. To ask her to be my girlfriend. And somehow, I completely forgot.

"Oh my god Mae, I'm so sorry! I completely forgot," I blurt out.

"Forgot what?" she asks, her voice filled with panic.

"No no no, it's good. I promise. I just forget what the whole point of this was."

This seems to catch her attention.

"Oh. What was the point of it?" she questions.

I reach for her hands, holding them with mine. I can feel my heart pounding in my chest.

"Mae, I know that we've known each other for only a month, and that we've only gone on three or four dates, but every single moment with you is just amazing. Spending time with you just brings me so much happiness, and I really want us to be official. So, will you be my girlfriend?"

Nothing. Silence. She doesn't say anything. Maybe my speech was too cheesy. Maybe she doesn't like me. Maybe she hates me-

"Took you long enough," she finally says, her words cutting off my panic.

She pulls me in for a tight hug, then brings her lips to mine.

"I'd love to be your girlfriend silly," she laughs, as she pulls away.

"Where are you going?" I ask, watching her walk away.

"I'm going to bed, and my lovely boyfriend better come with me," she smiles.

Boyfriend.

Never will I ever stop loving that.

Just in case you are completely lost, Mae still doesn't know that Gavi is Gavi the football player. But anyways, what did you think? The next few chapters might just be fillers, but it is going to start getting exciting. Also, not sure how long this story will go on for, but I'm think were either halfway through, or almost halfway through! I hope you've been enjoying it! Next chapter is coming out on Thursday! (5/18/23)