Chapter 8

My heart stopped, everything stopped, the intense silence of desire turned into a deafening hymn of dread and panic as we both turned to the entrance in reflex. His hand dropped from my chin, left behind was an emptiness not strong enough to build a gap from the sheer panic of my dead heart elevating to a thousand beatings per seconds. My eyes widen at the sight of a long haired brunette too shocked to share the confused thoughts running through her mind, if only her piercing eyes did a better job at hiding the disgust of running down my flaming hot body with observation like I was a dirty dress on the rag at the store.

Sharing zero emotions of mine, Michael took a step back, suppressing a smile of annoyance as another figure walked in, his friend. His eyes swayed from the back of the brunette's head over to Michael and the nonchalance on his face fell by the pinching of his brows together in confusion as his eyes darted back and forth between the scene that almost unfolded in front of him.

Heat rushed up my body like electrical voltage, filling every inch of my skin, burning like hot lava at the realisation of the great mistake I almost made. All of my years of being good, living up to good morals almost got destroyed in one second of weakness to lust for a boy who already had a girlfriend. One he confided in me about their problems and there I was, about to make one of the biggest mistakes of my life just because of pure desires of my dirty flesh.

The silence was a roaring lion of judgement, mercilessly devouring all thoughts of defence that couldn't even take a step close for resistance at the verdict of my actions. Without a word or a single glance their way nor mine, Michael made his path out, disappearing into the crowd he had walked out of to come here, leaving a trail of disinterest contrary to the guilt pounding in my head under the gaze of two people I didn't know enough to have that impact on me.

Ashamed and angry with myself, I stared down at my shaking hands clasped in my lap before their figure finally moved out of my peripheral, following his path in the crowd.

A lump formed in my throat, preventing me from taking normal breaths, my body's contribution to the torture for punishment of my actions. I couldn't believe how low I had gotten, allowing just one simple touch of his hand, just one look to push me into a hole of darkness and betrayal. Not even on my part but I knew he was in a relationship and that was enough to make me as guilty as him.

"Hey," Kira strolled in, stopping right in front of me before the happy smile on her face shaped into a confused frown. "Are you ok? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"Huh?" I shook my head. "No I'm fine." The high pitch of enthusiasm I tried to fake came out too strong for sincerity as if the smile I tried to plaster on wasn't enough to betray me.

Concerned was strong in her eyes, evaluating every inch of my skin for evidence that pointed to something too improper to mention out loud. She either didn't find anything or didn't want to carry down a road I was avoiding. "Let's go then. We need to find a ride home."

She led the way back out to the scorching heat. We made it to the door before a hand grabbed Kira's arm and we both turned to the boy she was dancing with earlier, leaned down to her.

"Are you leaving?" He asked. The dim light shining above casted long shadows of his eyelashes down his face which intensified the look of concentration fighting against alcohol in his eyes. "Aren't you gonna at least give me your number?"

"Tell you what," She leaned closer to him, shouting over the music for his ears, "if you see me on campus then maybe." They shared a look after she said, the desire to object strong in his expression but the sight of her biting her lip made him forget all about it, letting her make her escape out the door.

The evening breeze blew softly outside, the sound of the music muffled behind closed doors promised peace and quiet for the nearby neighbours but help to my cruel thoughts. Kira reached on her tiptoes, twisting her head from to side in search for any moving vehicle or indication that someone was getting in one. Hugging myself from the cold, I tried doing the same though the issue of getting home was the last thing on my mind.