Chapter 44

Dubraska

It had been at least two hours since we last arrived and I once again lost sight of Kira. We were back to where we were seated before, with Michael at my side. He winced as he stretched out the fingers of his wounded hand.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

He took a quick glance at me before it hit him that I caught on to that and he quickly put his hand away. "I'll be alright."

"I didn't ask you that." Gently I took his hand in mine and watch where the bandage covered his cut. Surprisingly, he didn't pull away, but I wasn't expecting him to either.

"I can't believe you didn't go see a doctor. It can get infected."

"It's not deep, it'll heel." He pulled his hand away but didn't back up considering how close I had gotten to grasp his hand. His pretty eyes stared into mine, making me forget all about where I was for a second.

I hated how even when I knew that things between us could never be, my heart still didn't let go of the action of increasing for him every time he gave me the slightest attention.

His slightly intoxicated eyes swayed down to my lips before quickly meeting my eyes again. "I'm sorry about last night, with the whole drunk thing." He lowered his voice in a soft whisper only I could hear. The sincerity was undeniable in his tone but he had nothing to apologise for.

"I never apologised for scaring you."

Or maybe he did have something to apologise for.

I slouched in deep thoughts. The picture of him laying unmoving on the ground was still engraved in my mind. I didn't think it was gonna disappear any time soon, and neither would the feeling of fear pressing on my chest.

"I guess that's what I guess for badging into your house without being invited." I looked back up and he had already turned away. "I'm glad I did though."

He nodded, still not looking at me.

"You're supposed to say you're glad too."

A soft smile touched the corner of his eyes but got interrupted from spreading into a full one when someone called my name from nearby. We both turned to our left were Ian stood.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked me. "I need to be somewhere in about thirty minutes." He checked down this watch to be sure.

Oh. I could sense slight disappointment taking over but I still got up to leave. Michael got up with me.

"I can take you home after." He offered and I smiled with gratitude but had to kindly decline.

"Thank you, but you're drinking and campus is a bit far. I'll be fine. Don't drink too much."

He met me half way for a hug, his hand brushed against the exposed skin of my back in the same spot it rested earlier in the night and just like before my body reacted the same. Unfortunately, this time, it lasted shorter. We both pulled away.

"I'll see you around." He said.

"I'll see you in class." I corrected and he simply smiles. If I stood corrected that meant he wasn't going anywhere near class, which is bad because examinations coming.

Ian led the way back out and it's only when we stepped out that I realised Kira wasn't with us. I checked behind me where a long line queued outside the already packed club. She wasn't there.

"Where's Kira?" I asked.

"She's not ready to go, she said she'll find another ride."

"Is that safe?" I couldn't help the concern that rose in my voice.

All the times I've gone out with Kira, we ended going home together, so her going home by herself and potentially with a stranger did not sound good to me. especially with the experiment I had in a place where I should have felt safe.

"She's used to doing it." He shrugged, really couldn't care any less.

Ian gestured for me to go to the front once we reached the car. I did and went to pull my phone out of my purse. It was empty. I rolled the window down for the light outside, yank my purse open it wasn't there.

I left it with Michael.

FUCK.

"Ian I left my phone inside. It's with Michael."

"Looks like its gonna have to stay with him cuz there's no way you're getting in again." We both looked at the packed line in front of us and dread took over me.

What if he loses it?

Does he even know it's still with him?

"Can you lend me your phone to call him?"

"Sure." He pulled it out his pocket, unlocked it and handed it over. "I doubt he's gonna come out though, he won't be able to get back in if he does."

"I'll just ask him to keep it with him till tomorrow." I pulled out the dial pad then just stared down at the phone when I realised I didn't have his number memorised.

FUCK.

It took me at least two seconds before coming with the idea to text Kira instead, fortunately for me, her number was saved on Ian's phone. Knowing she probably wouldn't be able to hear me, I texted her instead.

Dubraska: I left my phone with Michael can you check to make sure it's still with him and tell him I'll come get it tomorrow.

"Alright." Releasing a huge breath, I handed him back his phone.

"Let's go."