Chapter 11

I knocked on the wooden hollow door that wouldn't do much to keep an intruder out. Despite the beautiful exterior of the apartment building, the safety laws established there was the same as that of the dorm. I was able to walk in without a single glanced from the security sitting down at the front.

Loud muffled music blurred into vibration coming from the inside of the room as I waited. On edge with unfamiliarity of the area, I pulled out my phone to check that I had the right number and it was. For the second time, I knocked on the door while typing in a text to him and before I could press send the door flew opened. Nothing from the conversations I had with him would have prepared me for the stunned silence that ran through my body as I heard her voice before seeing her face.

"Fucking bitch." A tiny, six-year-old with pig tails in a purple tutu threw up gang signs in the air, twisting her body from side to side in an attempt to look cool before skipping back into the room.

I was shocked, stunned into silence as she jumped around the fairly spacious room, getting her tongue twisted on Escapism by Raye lyrics. On the side, leaning against a built in counter glued to the right side of the wall was Michael, laughing at the scene in front of him until the chorus came on and he joined in with the singing, hyping the little girl on who seemed to know every word of this part of the song. He had on a simple, black vest that clung onto the muscles of his abdomen, the cloth did little to hide the rise and fall of his abs in the manner he stood, laid back.

"Close the door," he told me, reaching over to the water bottle size speaker beside him and lowering the volume. I did what I was instructed.

"Dude." The little girl groaned in disapproval to the now silent room, dropping her shoulders down completely as she stuck her bottom lip out in a strong frown. The dissatisfaction didn't last long as she ran into another room to do God knows what.

"Who is she?" I asked. "And why are you teaching her how to cuss? That's not good."

Just two strides were enough for him to close the distance between us, reminding me of how much taller and bigger he was than me though he were the same age. "First of all, I'm not teaching her anything." He took the notepad from my hand. "She's just observing and mimicking. Besides she's not my kid, her parents will deal with the aftermath."

My brows pulled together at how he just unknowingly described the action of learning which meant he was teaching her how to cuss. His eyes piercing dropped from my face to the ruffle of my sleeves and with a straight face he asked, "Are you going flying?"

The fall of my face made his light up with a grin. The bright happy smile resembling that of an innocent kid was enough to make me forget what I was about to say, not that he was waiting for a response anyway. He turned on his hills, heading towards where the little girl ran off to. "Are you hungry?" He asked. "I'm going to make lunch." Once again he didn't give me a chance to answer before adding "Make yourself at home." Then disappearing around the corner, leaving me alone.

He living in an apartment was already a tip that his family was wealthy, the sight of it all was a confirmation. The apartment was spacious, not large but bigger than the small room I was cramped into with Kira. Light grey paint covered the large frames of the wall whilst striking white painted the frames of entrances of the room, including a sliding door leading to a balcony outside. Furniture matching the same light grey circled around a TV glued on the wall, next to it was a bubbling fish tank with vibrant little fishes swimming around green plants and pecking at the grey soil for food.

I stood there in awkward silence, unsure on what to do next, before the little girl came back and flopped on the floor with two dolls in her hands. i let the silence run longer before deciding to make small talk. "What's your name?" I asked her.