Chapter 17

ROHAN

I lay on the bed looking up at the ceiling without thinking, blinking or doing anything. I was just as numb as ever. And it's not because of my injuries, it's been 3 days since that incident and I'm healing now from outside but from inside... It's feeling so empty as if I don't even know why I am even breathing.

" It's time to change your bandage son " I slowly turn my eyes towards an old man. He has white beard, light brown eyes and most of the time he just wears white. With his always on white muslim Skull cap and not to forget his warm easy going smile .

Mr Ahmed, he saved me that day when he came to the valley for some herbs and woods. He lives here with his family, wife and doctor. In this warm house on the hills. He put the things on the side table as I tried to get up. " Let me help you " He said and helped me to sit.

" How are you feeling now son? " He asked while taking out the medicine he prepared and the bandages. I stare at my hands.

" I'm healing sir " I said in a low voice but I'm sure he heard. He smiled nodding his head while removing the old bandages and cleaning my wounds.

" You are healing from outside but you don't have inner peace. " He said while I just looked at him. He can read a person so perfectly, is it magic? I gulp and stay silent for a moment.

" I don't know where to look for inner peace "

My voice was low, soft and wounded. There was no cheerfulness . " Inner peace, you can find just you need to open your eyes. And your heart to son " I hardly can understand him .

" My eyes are already open air, I saw everything " I saw everything that she did to me. How she stomped on my emotions. How she pushed me away.

" Your eyes are open for what the world is showing, but open the eyes that can see what is hidden. Open your eyes for the real lover. Open the eyes for the real healer " And who is that ?Where is that lover and healer? But I kept these questions to myself .

After the session Mr Ahmed told me to come out for breakfast. The house is beautiful and small but warm. There are a few big pictures of Islamic Calligraphy and the house smells so good .

" Finally you decided to come out of the room brother " A girl named Iman came in front of me. She is an art student and all Calligraphies are made by her. She is a cheerful, full of sunshine type of girl. And she has been sticking around me since I opened my eyes. She asked me all the questions about my damn life.

She reminds me of... Haya. But she wears Hijab all the time while Haya wears the Hijab when she likes. Ah, why am I thinking about her? " I understand that you won't take it easy on me if I don't come out " I said as she laughed. " Stop irritating him Iman, he still needs help and you make a person so restless " I look up at the woman, she is the wife of Mr Ahmed, a warm and sweet woman who seems like a mother. And well she even scolded me for not taking good care of my wounds .

I too have a family, but why do they feel so warm and beautiful? Like a proper family.

They were a kind family. Mrs. Ahmed, a short woman with warm eyes, kept placing bowls of steaming food in front of me – paratha, scrambled eggs, and a chickpea curry that smelled amazing. Iman, all of us , sat beside me, chattering excitedly about her pet parrot, Tweety.

"Everyone ready?" Mr. Ahmed asked, his voice gentle. He raised his hands slightly, his palms facing forward. Mrs. Ahmed and Iman did the same, bowing their heads.

I wasn't sure what to do. I wasn't Muslim, and I didn't want to be disrespectful. Seeing my hesitation, Mr. Ahmed smiled kindly.

This is a dua, Rohan," he explained patiently. "It's a prayer we Muslims say before eating to thank Allah, God, for the food."