Chapter 20 - Unexpected Bond

4 months have now passed since the decision to have a new firestationbaby. Both have agreed to get pregnant together but so far it just hasn't worked out for either of them.

"negative

"negative.... again" you put the pregnancy test away in disappointment and look at Andy. "Now you..." Andy holds her test firmly in her hand and looks at you thoughtfully and with a hint of hopelessness. "if it's negative now, we'll take a break, as promised!" she says, turning the test towards you so that you see it first. You take a deep breath and get up from the toilet. "Break" and with that you walk out of the bathroom, go to the fridge and take out a beer. "hey..." Andy comes over to you and looks at you worriedly. "I'm sorry, but if you want we can keep trying with or without a break" Andy tries to cheer you up but you can't let it go. All the hormone therapy and injections have taken their toll on you. "Here" you offer her a beer but Andy refuses. "Not in the mood. We still have the night shift darling, take it easy" she says and grabs a water from the fridge instead.

"you know, it sucks! We take such good care of ourselves, do nothing wrong and just go about our business....and yet..." your voice cracks.

"come here..." Andy takes you in her arms and comforts you lovingly. "Let it sink in and then we'll see what happens." You cling to your wife and take a deep breath. "ok...I'll lie down again and then I'll just look forward to the night shift tonight" Andy agrees and goes to do a few things. In the evening, the 19 are lined up in full uniform.

"It's been a rough year so far. Spring is starting and we have to expect more accidents. So don't let up! Dismissed!" The pack disperses and Warren goes to Andy. "hey...I can tell by your mood that it's not going to be anything again?" Andy looks at him with a weak smile and shrugs her shoulders. "I'm patient, sure, I'm the captain, but my wife is having a harder time...and there's nothing I can do to cheer her up." The two of you walk into the lobby towards the office. "Understandable, an unfulfilled desire for a baby is frustrating. Just show her that you're there. You've been together for over a year now. Celebrate that." Andy puts her hands in her trouser pockets and is visibly at a loss. "Maybe you're right"

Warren was just about to leave when the two of them hear something.