Chapter 9: Your parents...

Layla's POV

"Goodbye! I'll see you soon."

Alpha Neal and the rest of the pack was leaving today. As decided I would stay the remaining two weeks with Iris and Alexis posing as my personal guides.

I hugged Alpha Neal and he got into one of the Jeeps riding shot gun with Derek.

"Stay safe Layla and I'll see you in a week." he said and rolled the window up.

That was four hours ago and since then all I have done is sit in my room and listen to the music. Alexis and Iris were in their final year of high school so they had a fixed nine to three schedule and the remainder of the pack was busy with their daily chores.

Jayden had distanced himself from me.

I thought back to yesterday when he said,

"We can't tell our packs about us being mates."

Remaining hard headed and impulsive as ever I had left him standing there and returned to pack house. I hadn't seen him at the breakfast table this morning and he didn't show up when Alpha Cairstay said farewell to Alpha Neal. I gave up trying to find him and retreated to my room.

I don't know where this new found courage was coming from but I planned on dragging it out as far as I could.

I got up and brushed nonexistent dust from my jeans and pulled on a long sleeve shirt walking out of my room. I stepped out of my room and looked to my right. If he wanted to ignore me and push me away when I had opened up to him then it was his loss, I was going to enjoy this week of freedom. I walked downstairs and entered the kitchen; I saw Vivian, the Alpha female, sitting at the breakfast nook sorting out mail and I decided the polite thing to do was greet her.

"Hello, Luna." I said bowing slightly when I had her attention.

She got up and straightened her pants, "Oh drop the formalities! Call me Vivian. You have helped this pack tremendously, your basically family!" she said giving me a smile and I found myself reciprocating it.

"Oh! Come around I was just about to make a cup of tea, would you like one Layla?" she said opening a cabinet and taking out two tea bags.

"Sure." I walked over and took out two cups remembering where they were kept from the day I had brought down my dishes.

Vivian handed me my cup of tea and smiled at me again. She held this kind persona that made me feel that I could trust her. I felt comfortable and relaxed when I was with her.

A quality very Luna should posses.

"I wanted to personally thank you for helping my son, Jayden. He has had some rough patches in his life but I always knew he could get over them. Seeing him so different and cold when he sided with Richard broke my heart and the thought that it would forever rip my son away from me scared me." She looked into her cup as if all the answers to her worries were hidden there and I felt her pain and sadness of losing someone close to her.

"Yesterday when he came and joined us for dinner I knew that my son was not lost, sure it will take time for him to return to his former self but I'm more than willing to wait." She looked at me smiling as if she knew something I didn't , "I see how he looks at you, it's hard to hide your emotion from your mother. He has taken a liking to you and I ask that you support him as a friend if not more."

I gulped and thought if only she knew the whole truth.

"I'll do everything I can to help you get your son back." I said reaching out to grab her hand and squeeze it in my own.