Chapter 36: Distant Domains

Estela embraced Grace and William tightly in her arms as they both squeezed her back dotingly, almost suffocating her. This was always the hardest part about coming home – leaving again. She didn't know when she'd be back from Albania – she may not see her parents again before school started – so she hugged them longer than she usually would. Savouring the moment, she unwillingly pulled away as Tom cleared his throat from where he stood by her side, glancing towards the clock.

"Stay safe, my little star," Grace said softly, kissing Estela's forehead.

Tom was becoming impatient, and had been attempting to depart for a while, but Grace always found an excuse for another hug, or William found another occasion to offer more fatherly advice.

"And you," Grace said with shiny eyes as she made her way over to Tom with open arms, it took a while for him to fully realise what was happening, but as he did so, he seemed immobilised as he stood there awkwardly. "Come here." Grace said as she gave him a motherly hug. Estela's hand shot up to her lips as she stifled a laugh as Tom was forced to abandon his undoubted disgust and hug her back.

"You look after her, now." William said gruffly to Tom, his moustache wriggling, as he patted his shoulder with a large hand with a little too much force, just to show him who was boss.

"Of course, sir." Tom said smoothly, the underlying tone of pure loathing well-concealed to the unsuspecting ear.

Finally, Tom and Estela managed to escape as they set off down the road to embark on their journey to the unfamiliar lands of Albania.

As they reached the bottom of the winding lane leading from Estela's house, Tom looked around to make sure they were alone.

"Take my arm," he demanded, looking down at her, his arm held aloft.

"We are not apparating," Estela replied firmly as she remembered the horrid sensation she'd experienced the first time she had done so, and her stomach lurched at the mere thought of doing it again.

"Well we wouldn't have to apparate if you'd have left when I told you to," he reprimanded.

Estela glowered before she reluctantly held onto his arm, grasping it tightly, as she shut her eyes firmly and waited for the sickening sensation to hit her.

It wasn't as bad as the first time, she thought, as she opened her eyes again once she felt her feet return to the firm ground. She wobbled a bit as she took her first few steps forward, like a new-born lamb who hadn't quite grasped the concept of walking yet.

Looking up, she saw the familiar exterior of the Leaky Cauldron. For such a famous place, serving as a gateway between the non-wizarding world and Diagon Alley, it was very dark and shabby. Tom had gone in ahead of her whilst she'd been taking in the building before her. She rolled her eyes as she caught up with him.

The smell of liquor pounced on her senses as she entered and looked around to see a few old women sitting in a corner of the Leaky Cauldron, drinking tiny glasses of sherry, one of them smoking a long pipe.

"Welcome to the Leaky Cauldron! How may I help you?" asked an enthusiastic elderly man with bushy white hair from behind the bar.

"We've come to use the Floo Network," replied Tom.

"Ah, yes, Albania – 10:30 a.m., is it? Well, it's 10:35 so you're a bit late," the man said and Tom shot Estela an unkind scowl from the corner of his eye. "But no matter, no matter. Follow me, please," he said as he came from behind the bar and urged them to follow him over to the large stone fireplace at the other end of the room. "I'll fetch someone to assist you," he said before he motioned over to someone who was cleaning a table at the far end of the bar. "Come here and assist these fine young folk who wish to use the Floo Network, m'boy!" the white-haired man called over.