Chapter 42: An Onslaught of Opals

The night seemed long as Estela lay awake for what must have been hours, her mind racing, her vision blurred as various images flashed before her. She desperately wanted to sleep, her eyes heavy as her head rested on the pillow, but her brain thought it would be fun to relive over a thousand moments in her head.

She tossed and turned, held her pillow over her ears to try and block out the voices and sounds, and squeezed her eyes shut as tightly as possible. But it was no use. She kept envisioning Lord Voldemort, standing before thousands of followers draped in black, easily breaking the barrier that protected Hogwarts and its inhabitants, and killing one of his followers without hesitation as nobody dared oppose him.

Then there was the issue of what happened earlier. Tom had approached her in the empty corridor, his face gaunt, his voice distant, and a red gleam that flickered behind his icy eyes for a split second. His words were still etched in her mind, and she could hear them as clearly as though he was stood right next to her.

You won't win, Estela.

And then the fact that he had just disappeared from right in front of her. That wasn't normal, even for a wizard. You couldn't apparate within Hogwarts, everyone knew that, so how on earth did he manage it? It didn't make any sense at all to her, and as she finally managed to drift off to sleep, she was sure she heard the distant sound of whispers speaking her name.

***

The next morning, Estela felt as though she was still asleep as she walked down into the Ravenclaw Common Room with Cayra.

"I have so many free periods this year," Cayra crooned as she made her way over to the sofas where Anthony was sitting. "I'm so glad I don't have to take History of Magic or Divination this year."

"Lucky for some," Anthony said from where he sat. "Rough night, Estela?"

"Very," she replied with a yawn. "I hardly slept."

"You're free this morning aren't you, Anth?" he nodded. "Great, so am I. Estela, are you?"

"Unfortunately not. I have a meeting with the Prefects in a bit. The Head Girl and Boy have to brief them on their duties."

"We'll walk with you," said Anthony. "It's on the way to the Great Hall anyway."

"We'd better get going, then. I have to be there soon."

They started towards the door when Estela realised she had forgotten her bag. As quickly as she could, she ran back up the stairs to the Girls' Dormitory and saw it sitting on her bed. She opened it to see if everything was packed, when her eyes landed on the black box that contained the opal necklace. She frowned as she looked at it, before she took it out and hid it under her pillow.

All Estela wanted to do was sleep as the three of them walked towards the Prefect's Common Room, but, for some reason, her head felt a bit lighter as she walked, as though a weight had been lifted from within.

"Who's Head Boy this year?" Cayra asked as they walked.

"Do you really need to ask that question?" Anthony replied dully.

"Right, Riddle, of course. Well, good luck to you with that, Estela."

Estela shook her head. "I'm going to need it. He's going to think he's some sort of King with his new title."

"You have my sincere sympathies for having to deal with him." Cayra mocked with a considerate pat on her shoulder.

"Oh, honestly, you have no idea."