CPR

Chapter 29

"Eva!" I roared as the bullet entered my chest and watched as my mate steal my nephew. The bullet stunned me but it wasn't fatal. It stopped my phase and I fell to the ground in pain. I crawled over to my brother and was surprised to see him groaning and trying to sit up.

"Creed she took my son!" Colin wasn't dead, that shot should've been fatal. What game was Eva playing? Did she really betray us? Or ...

"No she didn't. She is probably the only thing that will save him." I trusted her. If she was going to kill Caden or my sister-in-law, she had plenty of opportunity to do so. Why now? She brought Carson plan to Colin and Celeste. I had to believe in her, because Colin was too close to the situation, he couldn't look at the big picture.

"You are blind, she is a traitor!"

"If she was a traitor, we both would have a bullet in our heads." I search for the bullet that my body expelled and rose to my feet. "This is proof she didn't betray us."

Colin inspected the bullet I dropped in his hand, sighing as he balled his hand into a fist. "What now?"

"I track my mate and get them both back." I shifted into my wolf not wanting to delay any longer. I leaped off into the direction of the speeding car as Colin shouted orders to his men. I used my hearing to hone in on the sound of the car; trying to catch her or Caden's scent.

Colin's wolf was running beside me a few minutes later. Do you have their scents?

No, their traveling very fast, heading south. The sounds of their engine faded in the distance but I had a heading and we continued to push onward. After racing after them for twenty minutes I slowed down. I lost them. We need a survey of the area, nearest town or houses.

I've passed along the message to my team. We can stop, the car is coming. Colin stopped and I followed suit taking refuge in the woods. Creed do you think they will kill Caden?

No, they need him for now. Plus, Eva is there and she will make sure nothing happens to him.

God, I hope you are right. But she working with Carson, it's hard for me to trust her. But if you believe in her, I trust you. Colin stopped talking when several vehicles came upon us. We shifted back to our human selves and got dressed. I scouted ahead to see if I could pick up their trail. After fifteen minutes, I returned back to my brother and his men.

"I just got off the phone with Uncle Silas, I told him everything and that we have proof against Carson. He also verified that Eva Pesch is one of the council's best. She is known for completing her missions, never failed."

"Then that means she will protect Caden. Did your team find anything?" I looked over the map that was spread across the hood. There were a few spots circled on the map. Everyone gathered around the vehicle to hear the plan.

"There is a town about 50 miles south of here. And a few houses along the way. I say we break up in groups to check out the properties heading towards town. Each team will check their property. If the property is clean, meet here on the outskirts of the town. If a team spots them, they are not to attack but alert everyone, and wait for all to arrive. Everyone got it?" There were an unanimous agreement among the group.

"Sounds good, brother." I placed my finger on a house southeast about 40 miles away. "I'll take a team to this location."

Colin quickly doled out assignments to the rest of his men and I head to the first car. "Creed wait. There's something else."

"What?" I stopped and he pulled me to the side to speak quietly.

"I know you want to trust her, but be careful. Eva is.."

My patience was growing thin with Colin's doubts. "Out with it Colin!"

"Eva has a reputation, remember I said she never fails a mission. It is kinda her thing. She's tenacious, so whatever her deal was with Carson, she will carry it out. They say she is a cold hearted ..."

"Don't finish that sentence." I growled and leaped into the car. "Drive!" I was on the edge, hoping that we could get to them in time. I decided to take the house that was the furthest away and closer to town. It seemed the most strategic place to hide, if they chose one of the houses. It had multiple exits and was closer to town they could escape to and mingle with the humans. The ride through the mountains seemed to take forever. "Stop here, and pull off, we go on foot."

I had four men and women with me with guns drawn. I sniffed the air and myriad of smells hit me at once. First blood and lots of it and then her scent. "They're here, call it in!" I sprinted towards my mate and as I got closer the smells got stronger. A house loomed in the distance and we stayed on the perimeter, I didn't want to rush in without making an assessment. We knew of four men but couldn't be sure of how many men they had in total. I pointed to two of the men to circle the house and I took the other two with me.

"Cre! Cre!" My heart stopped as I spotted a little tuft of blonde hair rushing towards me. I broke my position to hurl myself at the moving target. "Cre!"

I scooped my little nephew as he leaped into my arms crying hysterically. "Caden! Are you okay?" I held him away and inspected his little body to make sure he was not hurt. Once I deemed him free of blemishes, I hugged him tight to my body.

"Fi! Fi!" Caden squirmed in my arms pointing towards the house. I had an internal battle raging inside of me. Should I let him show me where Eva was or hold onto him to keep him safe? "Fi! Go! Fi, hurt!"

I let him down and Caden shot away and we followed his path towards the smells of death. Eva's scent draped over me before Caden stopped at an area of bushes. There she was lying on the ground in a pool of her blood. She was only wearing a t-shirt that did little to cover her. I sank to my knees and gently picked her up laying her across my lap.

Caden's hand was rubbing the top of her head crying, and I brushed tendrils of hair from her blood splattered face. "Eva?" I croaked as my eyes and hands slowly peruse downward checking her body. Eva's breathing was very shallow and I knew she was dying. I couldn't let that happen, not when I just found her. There were bullet holes in her arms, one on her side, and two through her legs. Her body was covered in scratches, cuts, and swelling in places and turning blue from internal damage.

Eva's uneven breathing was slowing down. Her body was limp in my arms as I buried myself into her. "Don't leave me, I just found you." I cried out to no one in particular.

"Daddy!" I heard Caden scream in my fog of misery as I cried silently into Eva's neck.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, "Creed, let my doctors take a look at her." I didn't budge but tighten my grip on her. "Creed! Let's us help her!" I pried myself away from her looking into Colin's concern eyes.

"Let them check her out." He pleaded.

I loosen my hold as a man and woman moved in front of me and gestured for me to lie her down. They ripped open the tattered t-shirt and started to work frantically to save her. Colin pulled me away from the scene that was tearing my heart into pieces, as they began compression on her chest.

I viciously tore at my hair and turned away. My heart was breaking as she laid their lifeless. After several more minutes, the doctors stopped their heads hung low and shook with regret.

"No! Don't stop! She can't die! She is mine!" I roared with pain and violently push them away from my mate. Covering her lips with mine I forced my air into her lungs. I then switch to pumping her chest frantically. "Eva listen to me dammit! You are a fighter! Fight damn you! Fight!"

"Creed, she's gone!" Colin tried to reason with me. But I couldn't stop. 1.2.3..4.. I pumped her chest and then switched to forcing air into her lungs whoo..whoo..whoo... 1..2..3..4 whoo...whoo...whoo... 1..2..3..4.. whoo.whoo.whoo.

"Brother she's gone, you can stop!" Colin placed both his hands on my shoulders to stop my desperate procedure of CPR.

"No!" My wolf howled his grief and pushed one thought in my head. My teeth elongated and they sank into Eva's soft neck. I pushed my essence into her, marking her, desperately trying to save something that may be too late to save.

A/N

I want to cry.

Nicci