Before a Tribute, just a Citzen

Prolouge:
My hands touch the side of my bed. I look around. It's been months since I've been home. I think in my head simply: "The Capitol is stupid. One day I'll be able to live in a free Panem. Not one where all people are separated by districts." My sister walks up to me. "You need to get over it Jewel. We are almost done fixing the house." Our house is almost finished. It was half burnt down to soil.

I fall to my bed. "The Reaping is in a month." I gasp. Crystal nods. Our room looks plain. It's just like it was before the house burnt. Plain, and the show of our family's money. We have close to no money, and that's the way it will always be. "We won't get picked in the reaping. Neither of us will have to die in the Hunger Games. I promise." Crystal mutters. I have a deep feeling that she is wrong.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I rub my eyes. "Jewel!" My Mom shouts from the kitchen. I look up at the ceiling.
"Great.. Reaping Day." I mutter. I rub my eyes once more and jump from my bed. "What? It's morning already?" My Twin Sister mumbles. "Jewel?" "Yes, Crystal?" I reply. "Just making sure it was you." She responds.

I walk out of my room, wearing a red dress, that I would never wear on a normal day. "I see you found the dress I sewed you!" My Mom smiles. It feels a little small on me, but it fits well. I look around. "Where's Dad?" I ask. Her smile days and she stares at the chipped wooden counter top.

My Older Brother walks through the door as my Mom begins to speak. "Are you alright Charlie?" I ask. His face is smug and cold. "Dad, he's been taken." Charlie mumbles. Everyone begins to shout.
"Who toke him Charlie?" Crystal asks first. "The Capitol." Charlie replies. "Why did they take him?" My Mom pleas. "They toke half the miners in our shift, no one knows why though." Charlie is on the verge of just mumbles. No one speaks.

I walk outside, tears in my eyes, and sit on the steps when Crystal comes out. "Don't go hunting today. There's to many Peacekeepers." "I won't. Kal and I will go to the Hob and buy stuff for the feasts tonight." I brush my tears out of my eyes. After a minute or two, my best Friend Kal walks into the lane from one of the shortcuts we've found over time. He looks up, "The Reaping is starting early, we can't do anything, so I got you this." He hands me a necklace. A bird which has its wings open and flame on the tail feathers is all inside of this silver circle.

Suddenly Kal kisses me. Then my family climbs out of the rickety place, that we call home. The bell for the Reaping chimes, and I lose grip of Kal, and he dissappears. I put the necklace over my head. Crystal smiles as we walk closer and closer to where the reaping will be held.

"Nice gift, Kal gave you." Crystal mumbles. She must have seen the kiss. Why else would she say that? We all are mumbling, worried sick that we may get picked. Finally we are pushed into a crowd, and we are moved to the registration table.

The Peacekeeper tazors my arm with the little object. It hurts but I suffer the pain. The Peacekeeper dismisses me, and I race into the sqaure. Moments later, Crystal taps me. "The lines done. Effie Trinket will walk out any moment now." Crystal looks up at the stage. "Welcome everyone! Happy Hunger Games! We shall start the reaping with a video from the capitol." Effie Trinket's voice booms over the crowd, hashing it.

I find the video diffrent though, unlike usual, so I focus on it. The two mentors, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Melark, sit on the stage beside the mayor and his daughter, Madge. I intensely watch the video, in which they now say the dangers that the Districts have made to them selves. "If the Hunger Games go on, we keep in order. If the games discontinue, we will go in chaos once more." President Snow's voice says in the video. Then it finishes and Effie walks to the two glass balls, full of innocent names, hoping not to be picked.

"Now, we will pick two names. One women and man, will have the privilege have representing District 12 in the Hunger games. May the Odds be Ever in your Favour!" Effie picks from the glass ball on the right, closest to the Justice Building.

She reads the slip. "Jewel Everin." Effie smiles. Crystal screams. "No! Jewel!" Crystal shouts. "No! She can't go!" "Wait, what?" Effie gasps. This can't be happening, I'll die. This will be the last time I see my family. I walk farther up. Effie pulls me onto the stage. I see the Peacekeeper's holding back Crystal with her boycut hair. "Here is our girl tribute! JEWEL EVERIN!" Effie smiles. "I'm twins with the girl who screamed no." I carefully mutter the last words I will say freely.