A Terrible Memory

I stare at the foot of the stage, hoping that Kal won't get picked. Effie moves to the next glass ball. She pulls out a name, and reads, "Hugo Imith." Everyone looks around. "Is there a Hugo Imith out there?" Effie asks. A boy, that I recozinge some how, steps up.

Effie's last words are muffled in my ears. I keep staring down at the floor. She pulls me Hugo and I into the Justice Building.

I sit, waiting for my family to come say goodbye. There is a knock on the door. "You have five minutes." A stern voice says. My Mom, Crystal, Charlie and, My Younger Sister, Erica. "No, you can't go." Crystal hugs me. "Crystal, we can survive." My Mom smiles. "Kal will help you guys, he will bring you food, and water if you can't get it. But you have to give him something for his pay. We made this promise a long time ago." I say.

Crystal stops hugging me, and Erica looks up. "Don't die sissy!" She cries. I hug Charlie and he says, "Good Luck out there, Jewel." They walk out of the room, and I peek out the door. Kal stands there waiting for the doors to open. "Five minutes." A voice mutters. Kal walks in, and I run to hug him. "Your going to live. I'll take care of your family till you come back." He hugs me and tears fall down on my face. I don't speak, so we just hug. "Your time is up." A Peacekeeper walks in, pulling Kal from my cold hands. "Tribute, we shall now go to the train station." The Peacekeeper says.

I follow the instructions and move from the room. I yank on my dress, telling myself to keep the tears in. We walk out, and Cameras flash everywhere. Effie slinks in beside me, Hugo on the other side of her. We enter the train and I look up. A memory comes back to me, as I look at my fellow tribute. I work up my nerves to dissappear, and then the memory becomes less vivid.

It was one terrible day. I went to school, and I saw three boys, they were laughing and playing some game. When Hugo stepped into the group, he quickly joined in. I didn't know him at the time though. School was normal that day, till the end. Hugo and his friends went to Crystal and started laughing at her. I told them to stop, but one of them punched me in the face. Hugo shouted at them, and yet he grabbed me and punched my arm. My arm, was broken and my mouth was just a little wound. He and his friends laughed at me, and hard. Blood gushed down my face, as I caught their eyes. "Don't you hurt us, nor hurt anyone ever again." I shouted at them, and they looked at Crystal.

They punched her in the gut, and twisted her ankle around. I stared at them, as my sister fell. I caught her, picked her up. "Crystal, they're gone." I told her. She shivered, "This is the first time someone stepped up for me when that happened." I looked at the ground. It had happened before. That's why she had come home, and rushed to her room all the time. She had to cover the wounds they gave her. 

 I hate him to this day for hurting me, just because I stepped up for my Sister and picking on my sister for no entire reason. I know for a fact he is planning my death already, and I won't fall for his trap, no mater what the trap is. I walk towards where everyone else is. They stand there chatting, but Hugo sits behind them, fidgeting with his fingers. I give into the conversation for a while but then, I sit across the room.

I glance at Hugo. He rolls his eyes, so I sit up and walk right up to him. "If you hurt me before the games, I'll kill you in them." I whisper shout at him. He steps back scared. "Don't ever hurt me again, nor my sister. I remember what you did and I'll never forget." As I say this, I put my hand in a fist, and punch him in the gut. He leans over and clutches his Stomach.