Chapter 35

Kimberly Jacobs P.O.V

Days passed by and now it was Friday afternoon. Lobos had an important meeting in the empire, he just purchased two new hotels, on top of the three he already owned. I really don't know why he needs to make this much money when he really is diving in an ocean of Benjamin's.

He opened a few bottles of champagne to celebrate with his immediate stuff for being the best at their job, and helping him secure the deal.

Miguel Lobos was a reserved man, he had given the staff day off to mingle and enjoy in the boardroom, and after a very short, yet powerful speech, he signalled for me to follow him back to his office.

"What's up?" I asked, soon as he asked me to close the door. I took a sip from the lovely, expensive champagne I ordered.

Let me tell you, I may have been running the show in Miguel and Nicholas's absence but that does not mean I swam with the sharks. I still had to perform my 'assistant' duties, like order wine, champagne and food. Send memos to the staff requesting their time in the boardroom and also informing them that they may leave their duties to come celebrate with the boss until they feel the need to leave for their homes.

"What is this I hear about a man coming to visit me, but he found only you and he talked to you?" He asked, looking highly displeased. Oh shit!

"Uhmm..." well I had completely forgotten about Donovan's visit. And now, this man is just about as displeased. And anyway how do I break it down to him? Knowing him he'd probably blow me off, and not even want to see the man.

"Talk woman!" He gritted his teeth. "Kimberly who is the man you have been talking to?" He is eyes narrowed at me.

"Wait, wait, wait... what are you accusing me of?" I asked, just about to lose my composure.

"I only asked you a question. Do you know how much your life is in danger?" Forget displeased, he was now angry!! And terrifying.

"Yeah, thanks to you!" I rolled my eyes.

"Kim... we have been through this." He was still cold even when he spoke, but something else flickered in his eyes. Concern. "I know it is my damn fault and I've owned up to it, how long are you going to keep throwing that in my damn face?" He asked, and I swallowed.

I stayed rooted by the door, with a glass of nearly finished champagne in my hand.

"Okay, I'm sorry, but you need to stop reminding me of how my life is in danger all the damn time. I know that! I live with you! I'm surrounded by guards! I can't even go tot the damn mall, I know!" I lashed out at him.

"I get worried. I can't lose you." He whispered,  and I thought I heard things.

"What?" I asked.

"Who was the man? Apparently he has been looking for me, and if you talked to him then I'm worried. I want to know him. I want to know everyone you talk to Kimberly Molly Jacobs everyone!" He slammed his champagne glass on the table.

"His name is Donovan." I told him out of fear of what he might do next. We weren't at home, but at the office where people can walk in here well not really but they could be walking outside and catch a hint of what's happening inside.

"Donovan?" I could see the gears in his head roll. "Donovan who?" He asked. His brown eyes piercing into my direction.

"Uhmm Donovan Lobos." I fidgeted, leaning my body weight on my right foot.

"What did you say?" His voice went from 'I am the Dragon, I will blow fire right now at you and you die' to 'I'm a lost puppy help me find my owner.' His voice was small, barely over a whisper.he was sitted all the way by his desk, and I was standing by the door. Upon realizing how what I had just said affected him, I walked over to him.

"Do you know him?" I asked, my voice mimicking his. Low, very low.

"How does he look like?" He asked, he looked at me, hope filling his eyes. He was like a child that has been longing to find happiness in a very long time. My heart ached for the man. He looked torn but yet skeptical, as if this was another trick.

"He looks like you." I exhaled the air I didn't realize I was holding in.

"He looks like me?" He asked again. And I nodded.

What he did next shocked me to the moon and left me hanging right there.

"So the man who looks like me comes here looking for me and you keep all this to yourself?" He was livid! "You keeping my father, my real father away from me?" He asked again, and my mouth ran dry.

"I...I..." nothing came out of my mouth.

"You don't want me to be happy Kimberly? You don't want me to get answers from him? You don't want me to know why he left me in the hands of a monster? Why he left my mother?" He fired all those kinds of questions at me and now it was my turn to feel like a lost puppy. I didn't see it that way. I didn't know how to tell him, I wanted to tell him but he just wouldn't let me.

To be honest, the rest of this week I've seen less of him and everytime I wanted to tell him something would come up until I had forgotten. I truly had forgotten.

"I'm sorry, it just slipped my mind..." I tried to level with him.

"Yeah right, I'm starting to wonder if you actually care about me or you just waiting for the day Carter dies and you can be free of me." I didn't know what that meant but when he picked up his keys and left the office I knew he was very upset with me.

I pulled a chair and slumped into it, blowing huge amount of air out. I chucked down the rest of my champgane and replayed the scene that just took place in my mind.

What did he mean by saying he wonders if I actually cared for him? I let him sleep with me, the first to sleep with me with my permission! I refused to leave him per my aunt's request. My life has resulted in me not being able to go to malls like I want to, and I'm fine with it. I help with his company, I push him to talk to me about his feelings. What more does he want to prove that I care about him?

God this man can be so maddening sometimes.

Today everyone except security was layed off work that also meant me as well.

I decided that since it was my fault things were like this, it was only fair I try to fix them.

So I called Donovan.

Just when I was about to hang up, he answered in a hushed tone.

"Don speaking." He answered.

"Hi, it's Kimberly. Is this...is this a bad time?" I asked, surprised by how he had answered my call.

"Kimberly, well not really but the man I'm working for cannot know I have contact with other people except in here." I grew confused. Something about the way he spoke rose an unsettling feeling in my stomach.

"Donovan what's going on? Who exactly are you? What do you want?" I asked. If he thinks he's going to hurt Miguel, well then I have bad news for him.

"It's not at all what you are thinking Kimberly." He reassured me. "I still stand by what I told you. My son, who I didn't know is alive is in danger and I can only help him if he knows about me and knows what I am and if he trusts me." He was still talking faster, and in hushed tones.

"Is this a game to you? What are you talking about?" I asked again.

"I have to go, I will make it a point to come by the office tomorrow." He said.

"Tomorrow is Saturday." I told him, ain't nobody coming to work on a Saturday.

Before he could say anything a voice I would recognise anywhere spoke up. "Vince, put that phone down and get to work, I don't pay you to talk on your phone with your floozies!" Carter spoke up. His voice sent chills down my spine.

"Yes boss." I heard Donovan reply and just like that, our call was disconnected.

Donovan? Vince? What is this? Why is Donovan working for Carter? Good Lord!!

"Oh God!"

Donovan is working for Carter?

□□□□

Please click on that cute little star to vote, leave comments about this chapter and follow me please...😘❤