Modern AU P.3

After Lilly had explained her plan to Mr. Ambrose, a thoughtful look briefly shadowed his chiseled features. Finally, he sighed, and stood from his office chair. "Fine. Let's go." Lilly beamed, then jogged after him. He was much, much taller than her and each of his strides were equal to four of hers. The doors to his office swung open under his soft touch, probably too afraid to damage them in any way, Lilly thought. Mr. Stone, hearing the clicking of heels upon the marble floor quickly opened a tab to his documents and tried to look as if he were working. "Oh, hello sir!" Mr. Ambrose and Karim ignored him, and Lilly shot an apologetic glance back at him. 

She ran into the elevator just as it was closing. "Hey, wait, will you?" 

"Either you keep up with me, or get left behind." Lilly sighed. The elevators dinged open on the first floor, and all the employees bustling around and chattering fell immediately silent. They parted before him as he stepped out, lowering their heads and training their eyes on the floor. Mr. Ambrose strode through them as though there was no one there. Lilly and Karim followed after him, and soon they emerged on the blustery London sidewalk. She drew her coat tighter around herself. "My car is this way," Mr. Ambrose directed her to a black 2005 Toyota Prius parked on the street. Lilly stared at in shock. 

"That's.... your car?!" She exclaimed. There was nothing wrong with it, per say. It was just.. It wasn't what she expected. Maybe a fancy sports car, a Ferrari, or at least a Camaro. Not a Toyota Prius from 11 years ago. 

"Yes. Now get in." Mr. Ambrose ducked his head and entered the passenger seat, while Karim settled into the driver's seat. Lilly climbed into the leather back seat and Karim squealed away almost immediately. "Where are we going to get your dress?" 

Lilly smiled deviously. "I know just the place. I just hope she's not home..." She added under her breath. 

10 minutes of scary driving later, Lilly staggered out of the car. "Karim! I think you need your driver's license revoked." 

"It is you who needs a transplant for bravery, Linton." 

Lilly snorted. "This might take a while!" She called back over her shoulder and ran up the steps to her house. She burst in, surprising Eve and Flora who were on the couch. 

"Lilly!!" Flora cried. 

"Why are you here so early- don't tell me you got fired again!"  

"Eve, have some faith! No- I just need to dress up for a party. Help me please?" 

"Ooohh!!" Eve and Flora cried. "Who's your date?" 

Lilly flushed. "No one! I'm just accompanying my boss!" 

Flora giggled. "It's alright we won't tell Patsy. Now let's get you ready!" 

Lilly emerged 18 minutes later, tugging at the short hem of the black dress. Her legs were clad in matching fishnet tights while a pair of thigh high boots finished up her look. She walked unsteadily down the stairs, already regretting her choice of footwear. These were Eve's shoes, and she wasn't accustomed to such unstable shoes. She saw Mr. Ambrose in the front seat, face turned away and talking to someone. As she approached the car, a few of his words wafted out of the open window. "Warren, meet us at the London Marriott Hotel in 10. Yes, I mean now. I want 15 men to-" Mr. Ambrose stopped talking as he caught sight of his secretary. Lilly flashed him a smirk. 

 "Let's go!" She called, stepping into the car. The car lurched away, combining with London's traffic. Mr. Ambrose reviewed the plan with her one last time, glancing at her once in a while in the back mirror, looking away again when she caught his eye. It seemed to Lilly, as though he had never been in the presence of a woman. It was kind of cute, and gentlemanly that he was like this. Lilly confirmed the plan and climbed out of the car, clutching the onion Mr. Ambrose had given her in the car. She wasn't quite sure when he'd went out to buy an onion, but she took it nevertheless. It was time to see if Theater Camp had worked after all.