CHAPTER 25 PART 2 | solstice

📎A/N. Hello my lovelies. I hope you all had a wonderful week and are gearing up for a relaxing weekend. The sun is finally out again where I live and after a couple of weeks of being absent, summer has returned! Yipee!

Thanks for all your feedback in the last chapter, and for your lovely well wishes. I was so very touched. With my fathers condition, all we can do at this point, is make him comfortable. Unfortunately, with degenerative diseases, there's no quick cure, or miracle pill to reset the clock. 

In case we need a recap, Amos is standing over Maize with a dagger... 

I hope you enjoy the chapter. If you do, don't forget to vote, and all comments appreciated.

PS.. This is another long chapter... so get comfortable. 

Take care,

❤ ℳ

❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

Keira reacted on instinct, and a ball of energy flew from her hands. It's blue-white glow a stark contrast to the dull orange tinge from the fires dotted around the clearing. An instant later, Amos was propelled backward in a blaze of light as the orb shattered on impact.

"Naturals, we didn't think to ward our personal barrier against Naturals," cried out Dayna as she scrambled towards Maize.

An instant later, after confirming Amos wasn't moving, Kiera raced to her new friend. Maize remained on her knees, eyes wide, and her face pale. Her mouth opened to speak, but no words took form.

Dayna crawled around to inspect the damage. Her face grew pensive, and she hauled in a deep breath. "Oh! Mother Earth." She briefly closed her eyes and dropped her head as if willing herself to unsee.

Keira glanced around frantically. They would need to drop a portion of the wall to get her out safely. "She needs medical help."

A single tear trickled down Maize's cheek as she shook her head slowly from side to side. "It's too late for that."

Keira's heart clenched as the strain, evident on her face at the effort to speak, contorted Maize's face into a study of controlled pain. The wounded woman's gaze drifted off into the distance, somewhere over Keira's shoulder, and she turned to see what Maize was looking at with such sorrow.

Grant, who had been watching the unfolding drama, was held back by two others. His shouts were distorted through the thickness of the barriers. However, she could feel, rather than hear, the distress in his voice as he fought off the others.

She turned back just in time to notice Dayna attempting to remove the dagger embedded in her back. "No don't."

Dayna froze.

"It's probably the only thing keeping her alive. If you remove it, she could bleed out."

Dayna snapped her hand away as if burnt and scrambled around to Maize's front and reached for the injured woman's hand. "What can we do? We just can't leave her like this."

Maize gave Dayna a weak smile and coughed. They were horrified to notice a spray of blood had emerged with the exhaled air. "I won't be able to keep the spell complete for much longer."

Kiera froze. The magic running through her was the only thing keeping her alive. She glanced across to the large standing stone, the strands of webbing from the Legion were regaining strength, an indication their spell was unable to retain its full power without all three of them actively charging it.