CHAPTER 26 PART 2 | new beginnings

It took two more days before Keira had gained enough strength to physically stand on her own, and another day after that, before she had the strength to get downstairs under her own steam. She'd spent the better part of the day dealing with the constant barrage of messages and emails filling her inbox. The massacre had made national news, and everyone wanted inside information. As expected, the University wanted to know when she was planning to return. She'd already been away far too long for their liking.

With the case now over, they were applying pressure to return to her duties. What wasn't mentioned outright, but implied, was they also wanted to take advantage of the fact she was instrumental in tracking down and apprehending the Mystery Hill killers. Something they would be milking for months, if not years to come. This would mean massive exposure for the university, not to mention the potential cash flow from new sponsors and benefactors.

Keira could never understand how people could take advantage of the misfortune of others in such a callous manner. Money truly was the root of all evil.

Not wanting to deal with the politics of university life just yet, she dressed and headed downstairs. She followed the sound of Dayna's voice and found her in the large family room that opened out from the kitchen.

As she entered, she was shocked at the flowers, plants, fruit baskets and plates of food that littered the normally immaculate area. Her sister was on the phone hopping from foot to foot. Something had clearly excited her. Keira wandered over to the countertop and made herself a Green Tea, just as Dayna finished the call and let out an animated squeal.

"Good news?"

"You could say that." She placed the phone back into her pocket. "Lovely weather we're having."

Keira narrowed her eyes. Dayna was not known for keeping secrets. This only meant one of two things. There was a man involved, or, it was something Keira wouldn't approve of.

"So how did your call with the principal go?" Dayna asked before Keira could answer.

It was clear her sister was avoiding the subject. It's a man I won't approve of, she decided.

"Department chair," Keira replied as she raised an eyebrow. You know you'll break. It's only a matter of time before you'll spill "I haven't spoken to him yet." Kiera pointed to the lack of counter space. "What's all this?"

"When the SuperNatual's and gifted found out what had happened, things just started turning up. We've now got everything from free range eggs, to homemade lasagne, to knitted beanies. Everyone wanted to show just how much they appreciated what we did."

"How the hell did they find out?"

Dayna lifted her shoulders. "Damned if I know, but words out. I even had a little kid come up on the street yesterday and give me a hug. It was the strangest thing you've ever seen. She appeared out of nowhere, threw her arm around me, squeezed, and then ran off." Dayna half snorted, half laughed. "All I need now is a string of sexy half-naked men to do the same, and I'll be in heaven. Their gifts I won't want to return."

Keira frowned. "I'm not sure I'm as comfortable with that many people knowing."

"Too late now. Even Deacon has stopped grumbling about how many people have appeared on his doorstep bearing gifts."

Keira sat down on the oversized couch and watched as her sister sat down opposite her and began to fidget. "So, I gather no one's back yet?"

"No. Kahair and Makeda are still scouring the area for any clue where Zahir and Amos might be. Kahair and Deacon are pretty determined to track that Legion down. From what I can gather, there's some bad blood between them."