Homonyms (E.g. 'there', 'their' and 'they're'- what's the difference?)

In linguistics, homonyms are multiple words that sound the same when spoken out loud, but are spelt differently.

This can lead to confusions between their use in a written context.

Some common examples include:

- There, their and they're

'There' is used to describe a space or place. For example: 'Over there' or 'Can I sit there?'.

'Their' is used to describe a thing belonging to someone. For example: 'Is it theirs?' or  'Their breath smelt'.

and 'They're' should be used if they sentence still makes sense when using the expanded form 'they are' instead. If it doesn't fit, 'their' or 'there' should be in its place. For example, with a sentence like 'its over they're', if you took our the apostrophes to be 'they are' the sentence would be 'its over they are' which doesn't make sense. 'There' is the right one to use here. But 'They're being mean' works because 'They are being mean' works.

- Affect and Effect 

Affect is usually a verb indicating change, whereas Effect is the result/ impact of a change not usually used as a main verb or not usually in past tense.

E.g. He affected change vs. He desired the effects.

Here are some easier ones: 

- Desert (sand and cacti) and Dessert (pudding)

- Bear (animal) and bare (to 'bare all')

- Piece (of cake) and Peace (global unity)

- Bean (baked beans) and Been (over there)

If you're unsure , a quick search on Google to check would be a good idea.

But, my DM's are always open if you need help with anything 

-  S :)

The Guide to Wattpad (& Creative Writing)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara