Fourteen

-Chapter Fourteen-
Alphas
{ Braxton }

I had only been here once as a boy, with my dad.

If I was being honest with myself I'd admit that I was missing my dad more and more every day...they say it gets easier but I have yet to see it.

I sighed, There is just so many things I wish I could talk to him about, I would have liked for him to have met Harper...he would have loved her especially how strongwilled she is. He'd have laughed at how she has me like a dog with a leash.

I smiled.

As I looked out into the wide open backyard of this pack house I actually allowed myself a moment of peace.

"Hey man."

My quiet tranquility was gone, as I looked over at Ryder, I could see he had something on his mind. "Hey bro, what's up."

He shook his head..."feels weird being back here." He said with an odd vacant smile "I mean I spent most of my life back home and just a few weekends here and despite my Father's best efforts, this place...it never felt like home ya know." He sighed, "I know in his own way he cared for me, loved me...I don't know."

I remained silent and just let him talk.

"Like I know... I know I should feel sad, it's a sad state of affairs, and yet...I don't, and I can tell my brother is stressing out, you know, Dad was a private guy...kept all of his plans and secrets to himself, so no one knows who he had planned to make his successor when he stepped down or in this case...dies."

I nodded along to his words.

"Yvonne thinks it should be her and Trace will do whatever Dad wants to do because that's the kind of guy he is."

"It'll be up to your dad at the end of the day." I said.

He nodded.

"You know shit will go down if Yvonne takes it...granted she wouldn't technically get to be Alpha." He said now. "No female has ever Alpha'd the Garnet Hills Pack, and if she were the first to somehow do it...people may get pissed, if the more than likely scenario of her husband takes the position of Alpha...people would be even more upset that the pack isn't being run by someone with Johnson Alpha blood."

"I mean it isn't the first time Packs get lineage changes in the Alpha role." I pointed out.

He shrugged, "His family use to be big back in their old pack...but that was years ago, they haven't been anything respectable in a long time..."

I was going to say how I'm sure he'd be a good Alpha and uphold their family's name even though he isn't a Johnson but he continued talking.

"...Not to mention that no one in the family likes the asshole."

"Isn't he your sister's mate?" I asked confused as  to why any family wouldn't like a mate of their family member?

"Which makes it worse...everyone in the pack knows how power hungry he is, he bragged about my sister being his mate but not in how proud he was to find her or how intelligent or beautiful she is, no...no he was more proud of the fact that she the oldest child of Alpha Johnson, He cares more about who our family is, how well off we are, the things we have, the people we associate with...and because he is my sister mate there isn't anything we can do to him without hurting her, so we're stuck with him."

I nodded in agreement, "shit sucks man."

He nodded, we talked a little more before going back inside. Once inside we were greeted by a somber looking Trace