Forty-One

Chapter Forty-One
The Talk pt Three

After dinner it was mine and Val's turn to talk to Dad.

No doubt he had given the guys the fifth degree about their intentions with Val and I, or whatever Dad's tell their daughter's boyfriends.

But as we reached the backyard our Dad sighed loudly and looked at the both of us.

"Do you know how long I've tried to do my best for you both, tried to sheild you from my past only for you both to just stumble into it?"

"Dad...what are you talking about?" I asked.

"Yeah, what past?" Valerie wondered.

"I know about the guys."

Val and I looked at eachother confused.

"I know exactly what the guys are...they're Werewolves...and more so, so are you two."

"Are you?" I asked.

I had read all I could on Dormant Wolves and familial bloodlines...some in the blood line shift while others wolves remain dormant their whole lives.

"I was born with a dormant wolf and unfortunately I have never shifted... and I have no doubt that I never will shift, and I'm fine with that...I've known all about my wolf all my life, sometimes I think he guides certain actions but again that's the extent of it...-"

"What about Mom?" Val asked.

"I've never told your mother, so she doesn't know about this world...It's harder to explain when you don't even have the ability to shift...It'd be like worrying her for nothing so I never told her...it's something I've battled with for years but in the end I stand firm by my decision...what I do regret is not telling either of you, I could have prepared you for this other world and I let you both down on assumption."

"Assumption?" I asked.

"The assumption that because I didn't shift or my father and grandfather didn't shift that you two wouldn't shift either...I assumed the wolf gene was too diluted, that it had been virtually gone by now...now you two will be the ones to bring it back fully."

"How are we going to do that...I don't turn into a wolf." Val put in.

He smield at her, "I know princess, and maybe you never will...but if you have babies...you very well may shift from childbirth...and no doubt your children will shift into wolves much like your mates did come their seventeenth birthdays."

It was so weird hear Dad of all people talking about this...Mom would have been a little more believable as she is the one who read us the fairy tales and told us to be imaginative and embrace our creativity and induviduality...dad on the other was the realist, he was the straight and narrow, the hard worker and vigilant believer in no nonsense.

But here he was, so confident in his words now.

"Valerie my dear, would you mind going to your mate, I'm sure he misses you already, I've got to tell your sister something."

My sister looked at me with concern, I could see she was ready to protest and stay with me, but I offered her a smile to assure her everything was fine...I only hoped it would be fine.

He waited until Val was fully inside before turning to face me again. "So...heard you're engaged."

My face heated up, "Dad...-"

"I'm not upset with either you or Braxton, I know how mates work...just try and remember yourself...I know you and Valerie are both in a position now where you will be asked to put everyone before yourself...but try and remember that The packs need their Alphas as well as their Lunas...don't lose yourself to the role that you now have to fill whether it's the role of Luna, Wife, or Mother...always remember you are simply Harper first and foremost."

He smiled and I hugged him. "Why didn't Val need to hear that?"

He remained hugging me and laughed. "I'd like to meet the person who can get Valerie to be anything but herself...She will always do what's best for herself and the people she loves the most no questions asked...you on the other hand my dear Harper have always been a people pleaser, you can so easily put yourself last and that places you in trouble from time to time."

I knew he was right and it was something I had always struggled with.

"But, you won't have to face this path alone...you have Braxton now and you will always have your sister...be open with them and they can always help you...but back to engagements...Braxton mentioned that you two don't plan on jumping into anything and while I'm glad that you are taking your time...again, make sure it's what you want not something your doing because you think it's expected of you or you're worried what others will say. "

I sighed this time, "I am worried but not of what everyone will say I could care less about their opinions...I'm more worried that I'll be a crappy wife because I'm barely a good enough mate."

He chuckled and shook his head, "Somehow I fined that very hard to believe Harper."

I rolled my eyes, "you're suppose to always see the good in me, I'm your daughter."

"While I do always see the good in both my daughters, I'm also not blind to the way Trace interacts with Valerie and the way Braxton interacts with you...plus, the man wouldn't have asked you to marry him if he felt you merely a subpar mate...remember the pack doesn't need and Alpha and Luna to be married...so him doing this is because he wants to, not because it's what he's suppose to do."

It was true, in none of the books I've read have ever mentioned any mandatory Alpha ceremonial wedding or anything to the effect the way Presentings, markings, matings, and shiftings are.

"Dad, how do you know so much about this, Weres and the Pack?"

"I told you, my Father told me all about our family, just like his father told him...and like I said it's a little hard to believe especially when you don't have physical proof, but something in my dad's words convinced me and I just knew it was true...we have family books too...if you'd like them."

My heart raced, "Me...what about Val, she's the oldest."

He shrugged, "I can present them to you and you can have them copied so that you both have a copies...but something tells me you would show more interest in them."

"I wouldn't say that...you know Valerie has taken quite and interest in the Weres since learning of them."

He nodded his approval and after that we made our way back inside and found everyone in the sitting room, it wasn't long after when Val and Trace took off, Mom started the dished and Dad brought down a small chest.

"This is all I have and now it's yours...you have to make sure you share it with every future generation otherwise I cannot give them to you."

Braxton took the chest but I spoke up, "I promise to never let our family line die dad."

"I know you won't kiddo...and don't worry about Mom, I'll talk with her, I guess it's time for her to know the truth, especially if you and your sister plan on having kids some day." He laughed, "can't have grandkids just shifting in front of her out of the blue."

Then I smiled as I looked back at Braxton, "Some day."