Twenty-Two

-Chapter Twenty Two-
Alpha Dinner: Part One
[Braxton's POV]

Patrols ran smoothly, I was glad for the fact that we hadn't had an attack in over a year (Patricks Ex's not included) but it didn't mean we could get lazy in keeping our guard up, I knew as a leader I would have to always keep my guard up for my people and my mate.

The thought of Harper at home, in our house made my wolf excited, and luckily I had just let my wolf out for patrols so I wouldn't be so primal when I arrived back to the house, especially since her sister is staying the night. I was genuinely glad that her sister could be part of this life as well. I know Harper is very close with both Mariah and Elise, but having a sibling along for the ride has to make things even easier for her.

I met the guys over at the Frat house and got into a fresh outfit (not covered in dirt) I was just about to take off when my cellphone began to ring. It was a number I didn't recognize but I answered regardless.

"Braxton Ockland." I sounded.

"Alpha Braxton, This is Trace."

I was even more curious than when I originally answered "Alpha Trace, how can I help you this evening?"

"Please, it's just Trace, you know that" he chuckled. "Anyways I know sent out the email to you personally about the presenting party, but I wanted to know if it would be alright to possibly come over and have dinner with you and your Luna to be...if it isn't too presumptuous or intrusive."

"I did get your email and please, no intrusion or presumption at all... in fact I should apologize for not having you over sooner, as alliance members, even if only temporary, it's only befitting to know each other as not only pack Alpha's but also the men behind the role, and I'd be glad to introduce you to my mate."

"Thank you very much Braxton, I know this is asking a lot on such short notice, but with the party only a few days away would it be too much to ask to sit with you and your mate before then?" He asked, "Really I'm just trying to pick your brain on a few things before I have to meet one on one with the council."

I understood exactly how he felt now, "Yeah meeting them alone for the first time is kind of...a lot." I agreed.

As a sign of respect it's the policy for any pack to have a grievance period before having their next Alpha presented to the pack as their new Alpha. Of course this only takes place if the previous Alpha has passed, otherwise the title shift is handed down in front of the pack at the same presenting (Usually the alpha is too old to run the pack and hands his title down to his son).

"Well how about tomorrow night," I offered, "I think if I asked you over tonight Harper might have an aneurysm about the house looking a mess, plus we've got her sister staying the night."

He laughed, "If only I had a messy house and an intrusive sister in law as my problems..." he sighed.

"Well her sister isn't bad at all, no we love having her around...but I get where you're coming from and man I can tell you that the weight of the title gets easier to bear with time...and once Ryder's up there it'll help alleviate some of the stress."

He sighed heavily now, "Yeah, I just feel like shit making him move out here, I know it's not what he wants."

"Your brother has always been a very honor bound and dutiful man, so he knows that this is important, furthermore, he knows that you aren't asking him to come, this is something he was always meant to do...just in a different setting."

After that we talked only a short while more before hanging up. I called the guys into the entryway of the pack house and they all paid attention.

"In a few days My mate and I will be attending Alpha Trace Johnson's invitation alongside Beta Ryder, in our absence both Patrick and Vance will be in charge, I know I don't have to ask everyone to respect them as much as you respect both Ryder and myself."

"Yes Alpha." the men sounded in unison.

I gave them a nod signaling their dismissal.

"Ryder."

He turned to acknowledge my calling him, "Alpha?"

"Trace is coming to dinner tomorrow night, I'd like you to be there if that isn't asking too much."

He nodded, "Of course."

__________

I was surprisingly happy to find Harper enjoying herself with her sister in the living room.

"Good evening ladies." I said, "Don't let me intrude, I just need a word with Harper really quick.

Then Val giggled as my gorgeous mate blushed and walked over to me, I escorted her to the downstairs office and closed the door behind us.

"What's wrong Han-"

I let my lips crash down onto hers with no protests from her, in fact I even got a very seductive moan out of her. As much as I hate the fact that I had to pull away from our kiss I knew her sister was here so nothing could happen tonight, no matter how much I wanted so much to rush her upstairs and get an encore of the night she gave herself to me fully.

"Well that was a very nice hello." She smiled, "Did you miss me Handsome?"

"I always miss you when I have to be away from you my Gorgeous," I said as I pushed her beautiful curls behind her shoulder so I could see my mark on her neck, She cast her eyes down in a demure fashion, but a beautiful pink touched her cheeks, I could sense her arousal and knew once again that I needed to stop. "I need to talk to you, There is a new Alpha being presented in a few days and as our packs have had a treaty with one another in the past, it is our duty to attend his presenting as a sign of respect and good will."

She nodded, "Of course."

"There's more, Now Alpha Trace is Ryder's brother and we have always been on good terms with the Johnson family as well as their pack, so to help ease him into this role we're going to host him for dinner tomorrow night, it'll just be you, Ryder and myself along with Trace."

Her eyes grew wide, "A dinner? Tomorrow?"

I could tell she was already overthinking everything in her head. "You are going to be the Luna of this pack Gorgeous, I have every confidence that you can pull together a dinner...just use tomorrow night as a test run, Trace is a good family friend and Ryder's Brother, so even if something isn't done do to the 'T' he isn't going to point it out criticize you, that isn't him at all."

She nodded and I kissed her forehead, "Just relax..."This will be one of the easiest things you'll have to do as a Luna."