Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six
Decision
{ Braxton }

As I laid in bed I had this extreme feeling of contentment as I had once again gotten to explore my little mate in the most intimate of ways. Of course sex with her was far superior to any female before her, she simply stood out to me above all others.

Of course that's not to say there were many women before her, I wasn't just looking to bed every girl out there just because I could... in fact I've only had the pleasure of two other girls company before her. One I lost my virginity to and the other I held an on again off again sexual relationship with throughout high school.

Both girls had found their mates so I was fortunate on that aspect as well...no clingy jealous Ex's.

"What are you thinking about?" Harper asked lazily, a thin sheet the only thing hiding her delectable body from my view.

"How lucky I am." I answered. "And you Gorgeous, what is on your mind?"

"Nothing really, just happy."

I nodded and pulled her over to me "You know, I know this probably isn't the best time, but I've been meaning to talk with you about our Beta situation."

"Braxton, you know I will go along with either Vance or Patrick, the choice is yours."

"But that's why I wanted to talk with you, I was thinking...why do I have to choose?"

"Well, because you need a Beta...that much I'm certain of." She said as her half lidded eyes were slowly starting to close.

But I pressed on, I knew she was tired but I knew I couldn't sleep without voicing this out loud. "No, I know I need a Beta and they are my best prospects, but why choose between them, why not have both?"

She blinked a couple of times and looked up at me, I know she was thinking, possibly trying to recall if she's read anything on the subject, and that's why I was so keen on bringing it up to her... knowing that her knowledge is more fresh than mine on this subject from her training.

"Can I do that?" I asked.

She sat up, bringing the sheet with her, "Honestly I think you CAN have dual Betas my love, the only hindrance I can see this posing is lines of power get blurred."

"How so?" I wondered aloud.

"Well speaking hypothetically of course..." she started "Say we never kids, then the Alpha role would traditionally be handed to the beta you've selected, but the way your family has done it for many years is that you've selected the 'next of kin' or next to inherit the title as your betas...now technically your 'next of kin' blood wise is your uncle Richard, then Elise, and third in line would be Patrick before Vance as he is a blood relative of yours were as Vance is only your cousin by marriage."

I listened on, I had never really given it much thought.

"Now by placing them both into the Beta role I'm assuming you'd give them equal power so there is no Beta number 1 or Beta number 2?"

I nodded.

"And again, there is nothing wrong with that...but back to the no children thing...by Were law you'd have to pick between them as to who you'd want to have succeed you...You'll have to make a living will so to speak, I hate to think about it but if something were to happen to you the pack needs a leader and of course the beta rises to fill that role until the council come to present the next Alpha."

"How come it seems like this is more difficult than it should be...I don't remember my dad ever having to deal with this." I grumbled.

She shrugged, I didn't know your father or your grandfather for that matter but my guess is they always placed the next in line blood wise as their betas and you are not...again the next in line would be your uncle and he was your fathers beta until you became old enough to take on the position."

I nodded, "My uncle has said how he doesn't wish to fill the role anymore."

"And you don't have to pick him, you could always pick Elise as your next if kin...and as both you and Ryder have said, Patrick and Vance are your best options for Beta, Heaven forbid something happens to you but you'll just have to set up a successor on the off chance that we don't have a child before something happens to you."

My wolf was awake once again at the sound of having a child, and soon all conversations were over as I tended to my mate once again tonight.

__________

{ Harper }

Friday finally rolled around and I was on my way out to meet up with the girls and Valerie.

"You leaving already?" Braxton asked as he exited his office, I saw Vance and Patrick already in there and knew they would be discussing pack business and my mate was too lazy to make it to the pack house.

I nodded as I pulled on a jacket, the weather was starting to cool now, a sign that fall was upon us and soon the next full moon where the council will officially announce me as the pack's new Luna.

"I'll probably be gone all day, I don't have any classes today but I'm going dress shopping with the girls and honestly I have no idea how long that's going to take."

He bent down and kissed me, "well then," he smiled as he reached into his back pocket and withdrew his wallet, he handed me his credit card and I took it without any qualms anymore. "Have fun Gorgeous...and remember you can not tell Valerie about her mate."

I nodded, "Trace has to be the one to tell her, I remember." I said as I recalled a passage from one of the old books I had studied.

The guys had come out of the office.

"Luna To Be." They both greeted me.

"Betas." I sounded with a smile before finally taking off.

From the invitation that Braxton and I received, Alpha Trace would be hosting a quite extravagant gala, black tie of course and masquerade no less. Also on the invitation it stated that this was only for his pack members as well as the Alphas, Lunas, Betas, and Beta's mates of his alliances.

Seeing as Ryder is his new Beta and Vance and Patrick were our new Betas we would all be attending...I wasn't quite too surprised to find out that Valerie had also received an invitation...only hers held a slightly different and much more romantic message.