04. Hero

Enzo

I fell asleep.

I fucking fell asleep!

And now, when I wake up, she's gone.

I get out of the bed, alerted. Looking around me, there's nothing that tells me Alex is still here.

Don't panic, Enzo. Maybe she's not in the room but somewhere in the house. She wouldn't have left. She wouldn't be so stubborn and stupid. Right?

When I look around the house though, I come to the conclusion that she is.

This woman.

I take a deep breath to calm myself and unclench my tightened fists. Since Elena and Jake already left, I dial Elena's number, walking back and forth in the bedroom. Why would she do that?

"Hey, is everything alright?" Elena says when she picks up, her voice already filled with worry.

"She left before I woke up," I grumble in the phone.

"What?" she exclaims before she takes a deep breath. "Okay... did you try to call her?"

I pause for a couple of seconds.

"I—I don't have her phone number."

Silence follows.

"Oh, right. You want me to give it to you?"

I sigh. "Yes, please."

When I have it, I thank her and get ready to find this stubborn and crazy woman.

"Enzo?" Elena says before I hang up.

"Yeah?"

"Don't be too harsh on her."

I clench my jaw and open the front door. "We'll see about that."

*

She obviously didn't pick up the hundred times I called her. I searched everywhere. Stopped only when I really needed to go to the bathroom. Continued to search. At the mall, at the closest restaurant, but didn't stop to eat. I obviously don't know where she lives, right now. I didn't think to ask that to Elena.

I need to find her.

Then, only when it's starting to get late, I think about a place.

*

It's surprisingly packed. It seems like nobody knows about what happened here, last night. Good.

"Hey Fred," I greet him once I'm at the bar and he looks up in surprise.

"Have you seen a red-haired woman..." I pause, glancing at my watch. Then, sighing, "...probably drunk, somewhere?"

He narrows his eyes at the thought, glancing around the bar. Then, a knowing smile appears on his thin lips and he points at someone over my shoulder.

I look in the direction and indeed, find who I was looking for.

"I didn't know this was your type of girl," Fred teases me and I ignore his statement, walking towards her.