17. Pretending

Alex
Los Angeles, California

My eyes watch the fight happening in front of me with boredom. I've seen it so many times I'd lost count, and I can't take this shit anymore.

Blood, screams, yadda yadda yadda. Give me something else to watch.

Sighing, I stand up from my seat. I sense someone doing the same behind me, and I grit my teeth.

"Don't you trust me, Nick?" I ask sarcastically, tilting my head toward the young man.

He stares blankly with his dark eyes, his tattooed arms crossed over his chest. I roll my eyes and start walking away. "I'm going for a walk. You're not my dog. Enjoy watching people hitting each other."

I leave the hot and dark room to step into the long hallway, and when I glance over my shoulder, I'm surprised to see he hasn't followed me.

Smiling, I start walking down the hall, my heeled boots clip-clopping. I get far enough to not hear any screams anymore, and when I turn the corner, I nearly jump.

"Miss Pierce." The woman bows in front of me, and I want to scream.

She's in her thirties, petite with blonde hair and blue eyes. She's as innocent as a snowflake, and I can't understand how she can work here.

"Don't do that, please," I order, which makes her look up with fear.

"W-what?"

I sigh. "Don't bow like that. I'm not a queen."

"But Mr. Valdez said—"

"I am my own person," I declare bluntly. "I don't need anyone to talk for me. I'm not your queen, Maya."

At the mention of her name, her eyes widen. She seems surprised to hear me say her name, and I don't know why it bothers me.

"Where is Cole?" I finally question in a softer tone.

She clears her throat and smiles. "In a reunion."

I point to my right. "This way?"

"Yes, Miss. But I don't think you should—"

I'm already walking away, my fast steps not once faltering. Maya must think I'm crazy. I shake my head. I can deal with the consequences. I've seen enough since I'm here, and Cole is an angel compared to some others.

I reach the door to the room and open it. Everyone looks up.

I step inside and cross my arms. I meet Cole's icy eyes, and it's fair to say he doesn't look very happy. I smile.

"I was supposed to train today," I announce, watching as he stands up from his seat at the end of the large glass table.

"Gorgeous, now is not the time," he says, a warning in his voice. I narrow my eyes.

"I'm bored, Cole."

"Alex."

This time, I shut up. He makes his way toward me and grabs my arm, leading me away from...

My eyes finally wander around the room. Men with tattoos, piercings, and scary expressions are currently staring at me. I blink.

"I'm busy. Why aren't you with Nick?" he asks lowly, his expression dangerous.

I shrug. "I guess he's getting tired to follow me everywhere. Not that I can go very far." Pausing, I step closer. "If I don't train today, then I want to go out."

"You will have time to do that. Later," he concludes, his voice leaving no room for discussion. I scowl.

"I like her," a male voice interjects from across the room, and I turn my head toward a man in his thirties sitting at the table. He's rubbing his chin thoughtfully, his eyes running up and down my body with way too much interest. I cross my arms and swallow nervously.