Chapter 11 - Bad Boys Get Jealous? Never Knew

Autumn

Today is Derek's and my first study session together. He texted me saying we should go to the local park by our school. Its been about ten minutes since we met up and all we have done is sit on a blue bench, drink Starbucks, and talk about random subjects.

"We should probably start studying now. I'm really behind," I suggested when my laughing died down from a joke that Derek told me earlier.

"Ok. So...what are we learning?" Derek asked me as he texted a message to someone on his iPhone.

I laughed again. "You don't even know what we're learning?"

Derek put his phone face-down on the table and looked up and the sky, "um no? Remember I don't go to class."

I opened my history book and tried looking for the chapter we were focusing on during this unit. "Then why should I trust that you will help me get a good grade, huh?"

Derek rested his hand on my hand and I tried not to flinch. "Relax darling, I dont try hard but I'm smart. And history is my favorite subject, remember?" Derek's blonde hair flapped infront of his face as he looked down at his shoes, which were tapping a rythmn against the concrete.

His hand on mine. I bet every girl would die to touch his hand, but to me, it wasn't a good feeling. His touch felt like déjà vú. There was something about Derek's touch reminded me of Luke. And I absolutely hated it.

Moving my hand away from his, I took out my notebook, different colored pens and highlighters, and flash cards. "Fine, I trust that you will help. Shall we start?"

Derek noticed my strange change in mood and scooted an inch away from me. Good. But he smirked. "Of course."

For an hour, we studied and read from the history book. I couldn't help but notice every five minutes or so, he would inch his hand closer to me; sometimes resting it on my thigh or draping it around my waist.

I felt violated and very uncomfortable, but I don't think he noticed because he continued to run his hand along my thigh or even run his fingers through my hair. I pulled my phone out of my back pocket and checked the time.

4:45pm

I sighed. Only fifteen more minutes then you can leave.

Finally taking a hint, Derek took his fingers out of my hair and rested them in his lap. He didn't do it because of my hostility to his touch, but because five guys appeared from the basketball courts.

The boys didn't seem to notice us as they walked down the trail that led through and out of the park. I squinted my eyes to try to see who each of them were. Four of the boys were laughing and walking as a group, but the last one quietly trailed behind, his head down, hands stuffed in the pockets of his basketball shorts, and gaze focused on his shoes.

I almost fainted when I realized the teenage boy in the back of the group was Ryder. My heart thudded at a quickening paste and butterflies flapped their wings inside my stomach.

But my heart stopped when he looked over at me.

My heart literally skipped a beat.

When his eyes met mine, he smiled and oh god my heart almost exploded.

But his smile instantly turned into a disgusted frown when his bright brown eyes met Derek's confident dark blue ones.

Even from far away, I could still see Ryder's eyes clearly. Hypnotized by his brown orbs, I watched as they darkened to the core. Minutes earlier they were bright brown and happy when they met my eyes. But now, they were deadly. In fact, they were dangerous. His eyes turned colder than ice. I should be afraid but I wasn't. The way his eyes could turn from happy to fury in a matter of seconds fascinated me.