Chapter 34 - Heather Being Nice? Not Possible

Autumn

"Can I open my eyes now? I'm getting anxious," I begged as Ryder held his hand over my eyes, guiding me like a blind person.

"Oh my god, how many times have you asked that already? Fifteen?"

"Uh...only twice," I replied while stumbling over what felt like a chair.

"Huh. Seems like fifteen," Ryder said as he caught me from completely falling over the wooden object.

After a few more steps, Ryder finally said "ok, are you ready for your surprise?"

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" I cheered.

His hand fell from my eyes, and what I saw in front me made me gasp in astonishment.

"Ryder...you did this for me?"

Inside the guest bedroom of his house (aka my new room) were bright red roses without stems placed in an order that spelled out the word 'prom?'. The light bulbs in the room were replaced with purple ones, changing the light of the room to a dark, seductive purple. I didn't even want to step into the room because it looked like a painting that was still wet so if you touched it, it would get ruined. I didn't want to ruin what he did for me.

"Of course I did this for you. I want to take you to prom."

"When is prom?"

"Next week. Didn't you see the signs all over school?" Ryder asked me.

Next week? I don't have a dress yet!!!

"No I guess I didn't," I replied in shame.

"Don't worry," he kissed my cheek. "We will get you a dress before then," he reassured me, as if he read my mind.

"It's beautiful, Ryder. Thank you."

"Wait. You didn't see the best part yet." Ryder whistled then shouted, "come out boy!"

From behind the bed, appeared a golden retriever holding a red heart-shaped box of chocolates. He walked up and sat behind the roses spelling 'prom', his tail wagging happily.

"Holy...AHHHHHH!!!" I squealed in excitement, shock and happiness. "Finn! I can't believe you...Ryder I'm gonna cry! This is amazing," I hugged him as tightly as I could.

Ryder patted my back. "Autumn, I can't breathe."

I didn't let go.

He chuckled, "ok I'll just pass out it's fine. Damn you're strong."

If you don't remember, Finn is the golden retriever I automatically fell in love with at the pet shelter that I wanted to rescue, but I had no place for him in my abusive household.

When I was done suffocating Ryder with my hug, I ran up to Finn and hugged him.

"I've missed you!" I said while petting his back. He dropped the boxes of chocolates and attacked my face with kisses.

"Hey, hey, hey," Ryder walked over to us, pulling Finn away from my face. "That face is mine to kiss."

"You're jealous over a dog?" Ah, this boy.

"Uh, duh! Did you see how much he was kissing you?"

"Ryder," I rolled my eyes then kissed him, "you're crazy."

We laughed then he said "you still haven't answered my question."

"What questi- ohhh," I remembered as I looked down at the roses. "Of course I'll go with you. A million times yes."