Chapter 16 - He Cares

Autumn

The sound of my feet hitting the pavement every step I ran was the only thing I heard as I sprinted for my life, tears escaping my bruised and swollen eyes. It is dark out, not even the stars shined bright for they know it is a horrible night.

As I ran, the tears flowing made it harder to see but I was capable of seeing blurry city lights. I knew where I was going and to hell I will never look back.

With every step it got harder and harder to breathe but it didnt matter. All that matters is escaping from someone I sadly call my father.

You may be wondering why I'm running from my father at night. Well he abused me again tonight. Usually I go up to my room, ignore the pain, and go to sleep but something in me finally snapped. Something inside me told me the only thing left to do is run.

So that's exactly what I did.

To me, crying makes humans weak. I've always thought that so I would never cry after Michael abused me, I would just endure the pain and carry on like a warrior would. But something told me it was okay to cry this time, because even the strong break. Not everyone is invincible.

Stopping in front of a one-story building, I squinted my eyes at words in blue and pink neon lighting shine brightly on a sign.

"Mary Anne's Parlor," I read allowed as my eyes traced over every letter.

I didn't have the strength to smile but let me tell you, I'm glad I made it here. I've always loved Mary Anne's. The music, the people, the food, the atmosphere. Everything about it was perfect.

Before I could wipe away some tears, my feet already started making steps towards the entrance.

Hopefully no one will notice my blackened eyes or my scarred arms.

Feeling uncomfortable, I pulled my sleeves down as I went to sit in one of the red cushioned booths. I didn't even look at who was around or what was going on as I buried my head in my arms and cried. I continued to sob uncontrollably but silently into my arms until I heard someone sit down across me in my booth.

"Autumn? Is that you?" someone asked me. The voice was one I could recognize at anytime, anywhere.

Slowly peering out of my arm, my eyes widened when I realized it was him. It was Ryder.

"No!" I said too quickly, ducking my head in my arms again. I practically had a birds nest in my hair, my eyes were bruised and puffy, arms were scarred, and my sleeves were wet with tears. The one person that has to see me in this condition has to be Ryder...this day is just getting worse and worse.

"Don't lie to me Autumn. I know it's you." he said steernly but I didn't give in.

"Go away," I mumbled, not daring to look up at him because then he will see the bruises on my face and ask question that I won't answer.

I could hear him getting up. "Fine."

Phew. Thank god.

When the coast was clear, I removed my face from my arms. An urge to look back to see if Ryder was still in the parlor was driving me crazy but I ignored it.

The bruises on my eyes are so bad that everytime I blink I can feel a sharp pinch. Every pinch, my eyes turned glossier and glossier until the tears fell. This time I didn't even stop them; what's the point? It hurt to touch my eyes and wiping the tears won't do anything because they will continue to flow.

Each tear droplet is a painful memory of everything bad in my life.

One tear drop, I remember all the hurtful and cruel things my father has said to me.