4

The boy sat down beside Vin and pulled out his books.

When the teacher arrived, he listened quietly as Mr Jenks briefly outlined their course plan and exam format. "Now, as you know, this year you won't have any course work. Your entire mark will come from your exam. However, there will be a second practical skills exam, which means we have to learn practical geography. We'll be taking a field trip up to Yorkshire sometime in April to study a river. We'll also go to several seaside towns to see different sea defences. Miss Quinn will explain about that more in your next lesson, since she deals with physical geography. For the rest of the lesson today, take out your textbooks and begin reading the first section; the causes of conflict, and expression of conflict. Take notes as you need to."

The boy focused on his textbook and note making, forcing his thoughts away from his neighbour. He couldn't help but steal occasional glances at Vin as he made his notes, hating himself for not being able to stop.

Vin had deep chocolate brown eyes, very expressive, and brown hair a little shorter the boy's. The boy kept his black hair long enough to cover his eyes somewhat. He felt safer like that; more protected.

Vin was well built, with strong, thickly-muscled arms. He was wearing a plain red polo shirt and dark jeans, which didn’t hide the fact that he was clearly athletic and fit.

The boy forced his eyes back to his textbook and made himself keep writing his notes for the remainder of the lesson.