11

Wondering about Callum's behaviour, Vin also packed up his books and project, and caught the bus back home.

"Did you manage to finish your project?" Leda asked him as he came in.

"Almost. Another day or two perhaps. I’ve got most of the research done. It’s just writing the essay that I’ve got to do now. I saw my partner while I was at the library, so we worked together for a while. Callum Janoff."

Leda nodded, stirring tomato sauce into cooked pasta.

"He started acting weirdly when I asked him if he knew you. He said he didn't but I could tell he was lying."

"Perhaps he doesn't remember me. I know the name Janoff, but I can’t remember where from." Leda piled pasta onto two plates and the pair sat down to dinner.

The phone rang as Leda was dishing up hot chocolate sponge.

Vin finished dishing up as she went to answer it.

"Vinny." Leda came back into the kitchen a minute later, pulled on her coat. "That was Sergeant Wilkins."

"Have you got to go out? I thought tonight was your night off."

"It is. It's your friend Callum. He's in the hospital."

"What? What happened?"

"Get your coat. I'll explain what I can on the way."

They went out to Leda's car and headed for the hospital.

"A few months ago, two of our officers were called to a domestic abuse report on Chester Road. One of the neighbours rang, complaining of a lot of shouting and crashing. When they got there, the family waved it off, saying it was just a family argument that had gotten a little out of control and it wouldn't happen again. Except it did; we've had six callouts to that same house in as many months. It's always the neighbours that ring, saying they can hear shouting and things being broken. Apart from the neighbour’s word on the noise, there's never anything to suggest anyone's been hurt; nothing’s broken, the wife and son aren't complaining of abuse, nothing. It's Callum's house we're always being called out to."

"And you think his father's put him in hospital?" Vin asked, horrified.

Leda nodded.

"Did Sergeant Wilkins say haw bad Callum is?"

"No. But with any luck, we'll have enough now to arrest his father, perhaps his mum as well, and send them to prison."

"What'll happen to Callum?" Vin asked.

"Foster care, I imagine."

They pulled into the hospital car park and went inside.

A policeman met them in the reception and took them up to the fifth floor, where Callum was in surgery.

A tall, burly man, with kind blue eyes and deep laughter lines, met them in a private waiting room.

"Sergeant, this is my nephew, Vinny. Vin, this is Sergeant Wilkins."

The policeman nodded at Vin, who smiled thinly.

Vin settled himself at one end of the waiting room, leaving Leda and Wilkins to talk privately.

"He's Callum's friend," Leda told Wilkins. "I think his only friend. I've told him what's going on. Callum might like to see him when he gets out of surgery. How is he?"

"Broken left arm, bad bruises on his torso, and probably a concussion from falling down the stairs. Or, more probably, from being pushed down the stairs."

They stayed in the waiting room for almost four hours, before a doctor came in to speak to them.

"He's awake now, although he's a little groggy from the anaesthetic. He's had three pins put in his arm, and he's on analgesics for the pain at the moment. He may need some physical therapy once his arm heals."

"Can we speak to him?" Wilkins asked.

The doctor nodded.

"Wait here, Vin." Leda instructed.

Vinny waited impatiently while his aunt and Wilkins went to speak to Callum.

They came back after half an hour, looking irritated and tired.

"He's insisting he fell down the stairs." Wilkins said shortly, seeing Vin's questioning look.

"Perhaps Vinny should talk to him.,” Leda suggested. “He might be able to persuade Callum to press charges."

Wilkins paused, before he shrugged. "You can try, I suppose. He's down the hall, in 73B."

Vinny went down to find Callum's room.