15

"Let's go!" The boy said, impatient to leave the hospital at last. "Come on." He heard Vinny chuckle as he left the room.

"This way, idiot." Vin pulled the boy down the left corridor when he tried to go to the right. "Follow the exit signs."

The boy settled back in Vin's car with a sigh of relief. He'd been bored stiff in the hospital, being prodded by doctors.

As they drove away, however, the boy felt a weight begin to settle on his chest. He'd heard nothing about his parents; he didn't know if they were at home waiting for him, or whether a social worker was waiting to take him to foster care.

He picked at his cast absentmindedly, until he felt Vinny's fingers wrap around his and pull his hand away from the plaster.

"My aunt said the police are still looking for your parents. They were seen at a petrol station yesterday, but were gone by the time the police got there. They'll find them." Vin said confidently.

The boy nodded half-heartedly. "My house is back there." He said suddenly, when Vin drove past the turning for Chester Road.

"I know. I just need to go back to my house first, and drop something off."

The boy gaped as they pulled up in front of a house on Walton Terrace. "This is your house? It's huge."

"It's big enough for Leda and I." Said Vin, grinning at the boy’s amazement. "Come on. I want to show you something."