04

Wedding Bells

Chapter 4

"Erin are you packed and ready to go or not?" Carter questions as he shouts from the bathroom. I shook my head to myself panicking on how I was going to get all of this crammed into my suitcase before he was finished brushing his teeth. I bite my lower lip, feeling the pain bring my brain back from it's panic state to a place where it was at least somewhat usable.

I shouldn't have bought so many clothes while here in Paris, as now they were overflowing from my suitcase and I couldn't possibly get it shut. I glanced around the room to Carter's, his was unzipped with plenty of space to add more items to it. Was he finished packing though?

"Are you done packing?" I shouted, realizing I should have left him alone. My heart was racing in my chest as if there was a time clock ticking down above my head and I would have to face the punishment if I didn't get my task done before it ran out.

I did a quick search around the room, checking every spot visible for any sign of things Carter would need to throw into his own bags. I couldn't find any. Grabbing a pile of the clothes overflowing from my bag I quickly ran over to his suitcase unzipped it, plopped my own clothes inside before zipping it back up. They fit perfectly. Once this was done I was able to rush back to my back and shove the rest of my clothes back in, finally getting the zipper on my back to shut nicely.

I collapsed on the bed, waiting for him to come out of the bathroom. My hair was in a mess on top of my head and honestly I wasn't going to do anything about it. We were going to be on a fourteen hour flight and that was all you needed to say to make me want to hate my life.

Carter finally opened the door to the restroom, walking into the room to see me laying on the bed like I had just won a war against an army.

"Are you okay?" He muttered walking over to this side of the bed to grab his bag. My heart froze in my chest as he lifted it up on the bed. I forgot he would have to put his toothbrush back. I hoped he would open a different pocket, but that hope wasn't strong enough. I quickly grabbed the sheets covering my eyes as Carter unzipped his suitcase, the pink dress I had bought this week spilling over the edge as if it possibly couldn't hold itself back any longer.

"Erin?" His words were soft and slow, as if it were the calm before the storm.

"What?" I muttered, as casually as I could in the situation.

"Why is there a pile of your clothes in my bag?" I had hoped a smile would appear to his face by this point but I was wrong yet again.

"I don't know," I muttered, trying to make myself sound like a small child.  Carter’s face contorted as he tried his best to figure out how to react to my antics. I couldn’t take my eyes off of his. They were captivating, holding my gaze as if it was the last thing I was going to see right before staring into a car accident.

“Really? You don’t know why there is a pile of small woman clothes in my bag?” He paused for a moment rubbing his thumb across his lip as he looks directly in my eyes. “That all seem to fit you perfectly,”

I shrugged my shoulders, trying my best to keep my composure. He takes a few steps towards me, closing the distance. I shook my head, doing my best to keep the stern look on my face.

“Erin, do you have no excuse for this? I mean unless you expect me to believe that somebody fell through the window and broke into our hotel room?” He pointed towards the open window, as the curtain dance in the breeze gently. The sun was shining, warming everything around us.

“That’s dangerous! We need to get out of here. What if they come back?” I felt the words fall from my lips like poison. I knew he knew I was lying but it still hurt to do that to him. Even if I was only joking.