30

Wedding Bells

Chapter 30

"Are you sure you are willing to take her?" I question once more, feeling like an annoying child as I hand my very own child to my mother. Waiting for her response even though I knew what it was going to be. Of course she would say yes, there was no reason for her not to. Aurora was perfect, she never cried, she slept on her schedule perfectly, she ate when she needed to, and she hardly ever fussed.

That's what they always say though, your first child is always the best child, and that's how they trick you into having another one.

"Aurora is always welcome here with me," My mother beams as she scuttles her hands towards my daughter, snatching her away as quickly as she can. My heart was filled with so much warmth and sadness, this was the first time since I had Aurora that we were leaving her with someone.

Even though it was my mother and I trusted her with my life, it was still hard. I carried this child for 9 months, hosting her daily until she was strong enough to come out on her own. My body fed her and continues to feed her every single day. Do these feelings ever go away?

"Come on Erin it's probably best that we get going, we don't want to be late for our reservations." Carter placed his hand on the small of my back, trying to tug me with him with the other. My eye stayed on Aurora. Making sure she was okay without me. "She will be fine," Carter whispers in my ear.

Shaking my head, I turn to walk away finally feeling the pain of leaving her. It crashed over my like a waterfall falling from miles up above, hitting my skin like needles. The pain was all over, my world sucked up in this emotional goodbye.

I would be back for her though, and that was what I had to keep reminding myself. I wasn't going to be gone long, just a couple hours. She would possibly sleep the entire time we were away. But she was so damn cute I just couldn't handle it.

Another tug from my husband led me down the hallway and towards the elevator.

"Have fun guys," My mother waves, closing to door behind her as if it separated us so I couldn't get my child back. I'd break down a million doors for that little girl.

"Hey, it's okay Erin, please breathe," Carter must have seen the tears forming in my eyes. This upset me even further because I really didn't want to ruin my makeup. I stare up towards the ceiling of the elevator, hoping to hold back the rivers threatening to run.

Luckily this time I was able to.

The elevator stopped when we got to the parking garage. Carter led me to our car and opened the passenger side for me. I smiled the best I could and thanked him before hopping in. He walks around the car to the driver side and hops in starting it almost immediately.

"Where are we going for dinner?" I question, turning to watch as he backs out. My eyes settle on the car seat, laying there as empty as it could be. My heart breaks just a little further and a single tear finally escapes. I whip around to stare out the front window but it was too late. The tears were rolling now.

Biting my lower lip I did whatever I could to focus on anything other than my baby. That was damn near impossible when she had been my every living breathing second for the last month or so.

"Erin, it will be fine, please don't cry you are making me feel horrible," I wasn't sure that was the best thing Carter could say either, as now I was filled with the guilt of ruining date night by making my date feel just as horrible as I did. Maybe we needed to just go home and not go anywhere.

I glanced down at the dress that hasn't fit quite right since I has Aurora, but was probably the best fitting in my closet. I dressed up tonight, I did my hair, I did my makeup. I needed to go out. It's been too long and if we don't go out tonight it'll be months before we go out again. Carter had taken the day off work so that he could spend it all with me.