06

Wedding Bells

Chapter 6

My heart jumped for joy as soon as I saw Carter. He looks at me, slows his pace before turning into the store. Not a single word spoken between the two of us. I pulled my phone out to check it one more time. He hadn’t texted me back either.

I turned to chase after him before a girl grabs my arm and whips me around so that I was looking at her. My shoulders sank and I realized what this was going to be. A question I didn't want to answer.

“Does this come in a different color?” She holds a dress in my face, just as annoyed as the other girl. I looked around the shop wanting to just point out every single sign that says if it’s not on the racks we don’t have it for the sale.

“Everything we have for the sale is on the racks, if it isn’t on the racks them we don’t have it,” I tried my best to make it not sound so annoyed, but unfortunately for me, I don’t think it worked.

“Why don’t you have this in a blush, I can only wear a blush dress,” The girl looked at me like I put all the horrible things on this earth. I turn to point towards another rack. I felt the annoyance building up inside me. The hatred for the way people treat dresses at time. Not even dresses, just stuff that wasn't their own property.

“All of our blush, or colored dresses are on that rack. I suggest searching there,” I smiled, but that must have only made it worse. She scoffed threw the dress on the ground and ran towards the other rack.

I couldn't believe these people. Bending over I picked up the dress, straightened it out and placed it back on the rack it was supposed to be on. I searched the room to see where I was most needed, but my eyes fell on Carter. He was standing at the other cash register, pounding numbers into it as fast as possible, helping as many girls as he could. It was like he read my mind knowing exactly where I needed him. If only he would have stopped and said something to me the moment he came in the shop.

My heart was racing, both with confusion and pain. I didn’t mean to hurt him last night, but apparently I had. I just wanted to wait to move in until after we were married. He couldn’t get mad at me for being a little scared since my first engagement hadn’t worked out so well.

This room was filled with hundreds of girls who were all here for the same thing. Because they needed to buy their wedding dress. I was willing to bet out of the thousands of brides we would see today over a hundred of them weren’t going to make it to their wedding day. That was the hard part of this business and unfortunately I had experienced it first hand.

My heart aches for those girls though, because maybe it won’t be their fault. They spent all this time, and energy, planning for a day that will never come, only to have to restart the next time they are engaged because you can’t copy another wedding idea that you’ve had. This was considered bad luck.

I found my way strolling around the edge of the shop. Picking up the shoes that had fallen off the wall. Moving the flower pots so they wouldn’t get broken, and picking up discarded dresses off the floor before they got stomped on.

It broke my heart to see girls in here who wanted the sale so badly treat the dresses so poorly. If we damage too many goods and don’t make enough money to cover those then we can’t do this anymore.

I scoffed at the thought of people trashing dresses like that. This was my business and it sucked allowing people in here who would just destroy every little thing.

I helped a few more girls find the correct size, answered a few questions about what size they really should be wearing, and helped zip up some dresses. I felt like I was getting so much work done, but every time I looked up the crowds were larger than they had been the second before. Carter was working like a machine, Clara had practically her portion of the shop under control, and all the other workers including Kylie were buzzing around doing whatever they could to help out.