The summer we met: The start of an era

James

🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

There were so many things I needed to say to Harlee right now.

But I was at a loss for words.

The morning had climaxed so quickly; I really hadn't even had time to catch my breath, much less gather my thoughts to properly thank her for what she'd done.

After their surprise entrance, Harlee and her two friends had confessed to setting up the entire prank. Jasper hadn't believed her confession at first, but Harlee, being her headstrong self, was able to prove she was the mastermind.

She and her friends had also set up a camera to film the entirety of the prank. After growing tired of Jasper's questioning, Harlee retrieved the camera from its place in the window. She then promised not to show the footage on the camera to all the other kids at Fairington in exchange for Jasper no longer bullying me.

And I must say, the bargain was brilliant of her.

So brilliant, in fact, it had worked.

Because as tough as Jasper was (or claimed to be), even he knew a stunt like that would tarnish his reputation. Which was why he grudgingly admitted defeat and agreed to Harlee's conditions.

As Jasper left the room, I noticed a sag in his stride. He'd usually walk with so much confidence, but after an incident like that, he seemed defeated.

Harlee had put a chink in the bully's armor.

And she hadn't even had to resort to violence like he always did.

Mike and Evan had followed behind him, and I figured they were probably going to clean themselves off in O'ryan or something. The shower was still rigged, and neither Harlee nor her friends had made any attempt to fix it. I was surprised none of the boys had asked them to.

I supposed they didn't want to push their luck. Harlee had made it quite clear she wasn't playing around. I hoped they planned to fix it sooner or later because I would want to have a normal shower again at some point, but I decided not to worry about it right then.

Shortly after my cabinmates left, Harlee's friends exited the cabin too. The door shut behind them, leaving just me and Harlee in the cabin by ourselves. Silence fell over the room, and my eyes flitted toward the ground.

Harlee didn't look away from me, though; in fact, she seemed to study me closer.

I could feel her intense gaze as it lingered on me.

For a few seconds, the two of us didn't say anything to one another.

I knew I needed to speak first, but I was speechless. I was so surprised and grateful to her for the lengths she was willing to go to just to stand up for me.

She wasn't like Evan.

She didn't come eye to eye with a challenge only to look away in fear.

Harlee looked trouble right in the eye, ready to face it.

Boldly.

How I long to be like that, I thought to myself.

But I am not.

And I never will be.

Ever.

Harlee's voice pulled me from my pessimistic thoughts.

"Uh, hey, are you okay?" she asked quietly.

I tried saying yes but couldn't get myself to. So I gave her a nod instead.