Chapter forty-five: The brawl at the beach

Harlee

🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖

The two days before my thirteenth birthday seemed to drag by ever so slowly.

Or maybe I just felt that way because of how bored I was.

Evan and Rachel had had their date Wednesday afternoon, but later that evening, Rachel and her parents had to go out of town. Mr. Krenshaw had been called up by a home renovation company to meet about a possible contract with his painting business.

The company headquarters was in Phoenix, so the Krenshaws' relatives that lived there drove them up, and they'd also be staying with those relatives there.

The good news was if it went through, it would help the Krenshaws' financial situation tremendously. The opportunity would give Mr. Krenshaw tons of clients and exposure all over the state.

Rachel told me her dad had said,

"If it goes through, we'll be getting a house before the summer is out."

I hoped for the best for the Krenshaws.

The bad news was that the Krenshaws wouldn't be back until next week, meaning Rachel would miss my birthday. The other bad news was that this left me with no one to hang out with, really. Farrah hated me still, and I was still trying to move on from what happened with James and not run back to him despite his desperate pleas and fake apologies he'd texted and left on my voicemail.

The only person I did have to hang out with was Jasper.

Yes, Jasper.

Conveniently for me, he had happened to be at the mall on Tuesday when Rachel and I witnessed Hyland and James' parting kiss.

Shortly after it, Jasper walked up to me and asked me if I wanted to attend the Fourth of July bonfire with him.

Normally, James and I went to that together, along with our families. So I was reluctant to agree at first.

But then I saw James standing behind Jasper observing it all.

And when I noticed how it was affecting James to see Jasper wanting to hang out with me, I quickly agreed.

Now, he knew how I felt with him and Hyland.

Revenge was sweet.

But unfortunately for me agreeing to hang out with Jasper to spite James wasn't the fun I thought it'd be. Not only did I feel guilty for using Jasper (especially since he'd been so nice to me lately), but it also wasn't much fun because during my time with him, I realized, even more, there was no replacing James.

It was just one day before my thirteenth birthday, and I'd never felt more bored.

Jasper and I were sitting in my living room with the TV on but not watching it.

I sighed.

Around this time a year ago, James and I would be having our birth week tradition together, making memories.

I tried not to think of what used to be and focus on the present.

There was no turning back the clock. No matter how much I may have wanted to.

My eyes glanced over at Jasper, who was staring down at his phone.

His face was always stuck in his phone.

In the few hours I had spent with him, I found out there wasn't very much to him. Meanness aside, he was pretty much a blank slate.

I sipped my pink lemonade beside me and asked him,