Chapter seventeen: The birthday gift

Harlee

🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖

Rachel was the first person I told about my plan to win back James' friendship.

She and I had hung out every day since her first visit to my house. Two days before Evan's birthday, she and I were having our first sleepover together there. It was just the two of us there because my parents weren't home. They'd used Rachel being over as an opportunity to go out on an early dinner date. Normally they didn't like leaving me home alone at nighttime. Regardless, they left before sunset and promised to be home before dark.

Rachel and I were sitting on my bed watching a dance film on Starstreamflix and eating pizza when the doorbell rang.

"I got it," I said, standing to my feet.

"Do you want me to come with you since it's late?" Rachel asked, setting her cheese pizza slice down.

"Are you scared it's like a robber or something?" I asked playfully.

She smiled and said, "Maybe but if ringing the doorbell is the first step to their home invasion plan, then they're probably not very bright."

At that, we both laughed.

"I honestly watched so many secret agent, kid genius, and prank movies as a kid that bright or not, they'd be in for a very rude awakening if they tried to invade this house," I told her.

Rachel's eyes sparkled. "Really? Same! We've got this." She giggled again.

"Tell you what. If I'm not back in five minutes, come check on me," I said, starting towards my bedroom door. "And bring either a shovel or a blow torch from the garage."

Rachel laughed, giving me a thumbs up. "Got it!"

I smiled then hurried downstairs to answer the door. When I opened it, I saw Evan standing on my porch with a sheepish look on his face.

"Hey," he said.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, raising my eyebrows in genuine confusion. Evan and I hadn't talked since he'd been rude to me on the last day of school. He'd made it quite clear whose side he was on concerning James and my fighting. So I had no idea what he was doing at my house now.

"Well, you weren't replying to my texts." He shrugged.

"That would be because I blocked your number, Evan," I told him. I'd wanted to block him on social media too, but that felt too cruel. Shutting someone out completely would be acting just like James, the cause of all this.

"You blocked my number?" he said, sounding hurt.

I raised my eyebrows again as if to say, "Do you even know me?"

He nodded like he got the message then said, "Well, can you unblock me? I had wanted to tell you something."

"Why should I? You were rude to me last week for no reason at all."

Evan scratched his head and said,

"I know, and I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to be a bad friend. Anyway, my birthday party is Saturday and-"

"I'm aware." I folded my arms.

"You don't have to come if you don't want to," he started. "But I want you to. And James does too. He just won't admit it," he sighed.

My ears perked up at this.

I didn't want to miss the party.

And I did want an opportunity to see James and try to initiate my plan.